Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pacemaker speed graphic new owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
filmguerilla

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: pacemaker speed graphic new owner Reply with quote

hi there!

first of all i'm very thankful for this site.. kudos too all the people who worked and made this site very informative for graflex users especially for a newbie in the world of graflex like me.

i'm a new owner of pacemaker speed graphic (top RF). got one from the auction site. it's a beat up one. a restoration is needed for the camera. right now i'm looking for some parts on the auction site.

the camera seems to be fine but not checked properly by the seller (he doesn't know how to) so i have to send it to a pro to have a full check and CLA on the camera. i noticed some missing parts. a tilt lock nuts in the front standard, sports finder, cover for battery compartment and leather strap. not that big deal though but i want to restore the camera in its fulliest form.

so, i searched on the auction site for parts. i saw a front standard parts for crown graphic, bellows for crown graphic special (seller told me it's for speed and crown), leather strap etc.. as i was searching and reading info about graphics lately i'm still confused and overwhelmed. i'm still unsure wether all parts can be use so i decided to signup here in the forum so i could post all my questions. it looks like there are lots of versions of speed graphic when reading infos online.

so ok.. these are my dumb questions..

does a pacemaker crown graphic parts can be used for a pacemaker speed graphic? or vice versa?

i read that the bellows for speed graphic is 12-3/4" and for crown 12-1/2" would it be possible to use the crown bellows for speed?

does the "special" version of either crown or speed has different parts? or it's still all the same? sorry, i can't find any info in the site yet about the special versions.

any battery compartment alternatives for top RF? can you point me a place where to get pacemaker parts?

thank you very much!

regards

FG
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instruction manuals:
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_4.html
or
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/TRFPacemaker.pdf

Service manual:
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/servicemanual.pdf
the pdf files may be slow to load depending on your equipment and internet connection.

If a part number is used for both the Speed and Crown then it can be interchanged between the two versions without any problems.
If a item has a different part number for Speed and Crown then a problem or impairment of function may result if they are switched between the versions.

The Crown is a thinner body version of the Speed. The Crown does not have a focal plane shutter.

The "Special" was the same body with a slightly lower cost lens aimed at increasing sales at a time when sales were slacking.

A battery compartment door can be made from thin acrylic or wood.

The only "dumb" question is the one that gets dismissed before asking and results in equipment damage or personnel injury.
filmguerilla

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much 45pss..

downloading some pdf on those sites right now. i will try to read one at a time. i think i'm loving speed graphic.. i can't wait to use the focal plane shutter. that's the main reason why i choose graflex. i'm from 5x7 to graphic. i think it's the right decision.

45PSS wrote:

If a part number is used for both the Speed and Crown then it can be interchanged between the two versions without any problems.
If a item has a different part number for Speed and Crown then a problem or impairment of function may result if they are switched between the versions.

how would i know the part number for crown or for speed? would i have to ask about that from the seller?

Quote:
The "Special" was the same body with a slightly lower cost lens aimed at increasing sales at a time when sales were slacking.

now i got it.. so, maybe the bellows that are selling on the auction site would fit on my pacemaker. hopefully its for speed not crwon since the crown has shorter bellows than speed right? only half an inch? or would that be fine either?

Quote:
The only "dumb" question is the one that gets dismissed before asking and results in equipment damage or personnel injury.

THANK YOU!
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get the service manual downloaded go to pdf page 36 (manual page 34) Figure 6 Front Standard.
Figure 6 no index number
34754G1 Standard complete, front (speed graphic)
34754G2 Standard complete, front (crown graphic)
here we have two different part numbers for the front standard complete and the description specifies which is for which camera.
Now look at the picture and note that #3 points to the bellows. In the descriptions Figure 6 Index 3 31061G3 Bellows assembly-second. This indicates that the same bellows were used on both the speed and crown as there are not separate part numbers for the two cameras. The -second means the part number is the second production version of this part. The other part numbers listed before Index 4 are the sub assembly parts associated with the bellows.

Anytime there is a different part for the two cameras it will be specified in the parts list.
filmguerilla

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks 45pss! now i'm getting the difference between the two cameras..

so looks like the bellows will fit in my top RF pacemaker graphic. the special version doesn't really have difference for both crown and graphic. ok

i just check the pacemaker crown and speed pages again.. how come the info for the bellows are different than in the service manual? hehe just want to make sure. are these different bellows depend on the production date?

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/pacemaker-crown-graphic.html

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/pacemaker-speed-graphic.html

45PSS wrote:
Once you get the service manual downloaded go to pdf page 36 (manual page 34) Figure 6 Front Standard.
Figure 6 no index number
34754G1 Standard complete, front (speed graphic)
34754G2 Standard complete, front (crown graphic)
here we have two different part numbers for the front standard complete and the description specifies which is for which camera.
Now look at the picture and note that #3 points to the bellows. In the descriptions Figure 6 Index 3 31061G3 Bellows assembly-second. This indicates that the same bellows were used on both the speed and crown as there are not separate part numbers for the two cameras. The -second means the part number is the second production version of this part. The other part numbers listed before Index 4 are the sub assembly parts associated with the bellows.

Anytime there is a different part for the two cameras it will be specified in the parts list.

45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i just check the pacemaker crown and speed pages again.. how come the info for the bellows are different than in the service manual?

I think it has to do with the fact that the "bellows extension" is measured from the "ground glass" and the Speed body is thicker than the Crown body. The difference is 1/4 inch or 6mm.
filmguerilla

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it. thanks for the help

45PSS wrote:
Quote:
i just check the pacemaker crown and speed pages again.. how come the info for the bellows are different than in the service manual?

I think it has to do with the fact that the "bellows extension" is measured from the "ground glass" and the Speed body is thicker than the Crown body. The difference is 1/4 inch or 6mm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: