Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Press Graflex Help - Sending up the "Bert Signal"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
semihemi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Press Graflex Help - Sending up the "Bert Signal" Reply with quote

I just finished reassembly on a Press and gave the shutter a test firing. Unlike the 4x5 from a couple of weeks ago, this time I have quite a bit too much preload dialed in. According to the exposure guide on the camera, it should not pull the curtain shut at Tension 5 and a slit of 1.5 inches. Mine pulls the curtain down rather smartly at that setting. I need to back off a bit, but I know from the assembly process that it is rather tricky to keep the pretension from releasing completely when lifting off the tension adjustment cover plate. Is there a trick to keeping the whole thing from uncoiling on me while I back it down a notch at a time?

Thanks in advance,

Commissioner Gordon (known in real life as Semi)
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The procedure for setting the tension on Graflex SLR's, courtesy of Bert Saunders back when I had some Graflex SLR's, is :
1. remove the nut covering the spring tension adjustment.
2. insert a screwdriver into the slot on the end of the tension spring.
3. remove the screws holding the tension knob plate to the camera body working diagonally.
4. While holding the tension spring stationary with the screw driver lift the tension knob plate up enough to disengage the gears.
5. readjust the tension spring tension up or down as needed.
6. reset the tension knob plate onto the camera with the gears meshed.
7. install two screws into the tension knob plate diagonally from each other and secure.
8. test the new tension setting.
9. readjust as above if necessary.
10. install remaining screws into the tension knob plate.
11. reinstall the tension spring adjustment cover nut.
semihemi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the note, 45. The procedure you describe looks like it will work on my Series B 4x5, but the hardware on the Press is quite a bit different. There is a cover plate over the spring assembly that I may lift off for diagnostic purposes. I do have a parts camera that I can make a trial run on before digging into the assembled camera.

Best,
Semi
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: PRESS ADJUSTMENT Reply with quote

SEMI,
INDEED THE PRESS IS DIFFERENT, IT HAS A SPRING IN IT LIKE THE ONES FOUND IN AN OLD FATHERS CLOCK!
SOO......I HAD TO COME UP WITH AN ANSWER!
GIVE ME A HOLLER @
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
and I will send it to you!
Have a nice day........Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: