Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Testing an original Graflex three cell flashgun
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry64

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Testing an original Graflex three cell flashgun Reply with quote

Hello I'm after some help please I am a complete novice and have acquired an original Graflex three cell flashgun that was my fathers and I am considering selling it I am fully aware that it is very collectible but want to try to test it beforehand to see if it works first if that is possible before I do I have a variety of vintage bulbs leads and fittings but don’t even know If I can just test it with batteries alone or if I need the camera do this which sadly I do not have
Can some body please advise me on what I can do please ?

Thanks In advance

Barry
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/graflex_flash_synchronizer.pdf
the pins for the shutters flash sync pin can be shorted to test that function.
DO NOT short the solenoid contacts.
Barry64

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link can you be more specific on which page in the manual I need to get that information from please

Barry
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red button on the back should fire a flash bulb if screwed into the socket with a flash bulb and batteries installed.
Barry64

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
The red button on the back should fire a flash bulb if screwed into the socket with a flash bulb and batteries installed.

Thanks I don’t understand how I put a bulb in the end though there doesn’t seem to be any fitting for it to go into can somebody please show me an image what it is I need please i would attach a photo if i knew how to!!

Thanks

Barry[/url]
pendennis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flash bulbs use a bayonet fitting. Just push bulb down into the socket until it "clicks". There's a button on the back of the handle to eject spent bulb.
Barry64

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pendennis wrote:
The flash bulbs use a bayonet fitting. Just push bulb down into the socket until it "clicks". There's a button on the back of the handle to eject spent bulb.

Thanks i dont have any bulbs with bayonet fittings they are all either screw bulbs or oval glass with no fitting at all can i get a modern equivalent anywhere please ?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first page of the instruction manual shows the Graflex Synchronizer with a Mazda base (screw base/edison base) installed.
There are bayonet adapters that screw into the Synchronizer to allow use of bayonet base bulbs.

https://graflex.org/flash/technical.html
https://graflex.org/flash/

flash bulbs have not been made for years, some are still available on the second hand market.
Barry64

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
The first page of the instruction manual shows the Graflex Synchronizer with a Mazda base (screw base/edison base) installed.
There are bayonet adapters that screw into the Synchronizer to allow use of bayonet base bulbs.

https://graflex.org/flash/technical.html
https://graflex.org/flash/

flash bulbs have not been made for years, some are still available on the second hand market.

Thanks very much for the info the attachment I have is similar to one in the link below it has a screw fitting but should this go straight in the end of the synchroniser and fire A flash bulb if it all works correctly?

Many thanks

Barry

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363729405345?hash=item54aff645a1:g:Na4AAOSw8Chh4GtI
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To post a picture on this site upload it to a image hosting site then post a link to the photo.
That ebay listing is for a bayonet to screw base adapter, the listing states it incorrectly.
IF yours has such an adapter in it then removing the adapter will allow the use of screw base bulbs. Press on the bulb eject button and pull the adapter out, push the bulb in.
Barry64

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
To post a picture on this site upload it to a image hosting site then post a link to the photo.
That ebay listing is for a bayonet to screw base adapter, the listing states it incorrectly.
IF yours has such an adapter in it then removing the adapter will allow the use of screw base bulbs. Press on the bulb eject button and pull the adapter out, push the bulb in.

hi thanks for info these are the only things I have are they adaptors and can they be used with it?

Thanks

Barry

https://www.imagevenue.com/ME14LCWQ
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left- unknown to bayonet base. It may be from one bayonet size to another or an AG1/AG1B to bayonet base. AG1's push in with contacts on both sides in a row the width of the bulb.

next to left- screw base to large bayonet base. It has light corrosion, polish with a scotch brite pad.

next to right- unknown screw base light?

right- unknown light, screw base.
Barry64

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Left- unknown to bayonet base. It may be from one bayonet size to another or an AG1/AG1B to bayonet base. AG1's push in with contacts on both sides in a row the width of the bulb.

next to left- screw base to large bayonet base. It has light corrosion, polish with a scotch brite pad.

next to right- unknown screw base light?

right- unknown light, screw base.

Thanks so will any of the 3 with screw fittings which are all the same size fit in the end like the photo below and light up if it all works properly ?

Thanks

Barry

https://www.imagevenue.com/ME14LIQL
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.
Barry64

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
yes.

Well i tested it with all the adaptor and various bulbs and it doesn’t seem to work I’m not sure if the bulbs ore ok though is there anyway I can test them to see if they do

Thanks

Barry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: