Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

roll film adapter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ltdave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject: roll film adapter Reply with quote

i think it was in the accessories sheet from this site that talked about roll film backs for the graflex cameras.

4x5 is all new to me so since i had some 120 roll film on hand i bought a pair of Graflex RH10 backs (6x7).

i got them in the mail today and i have no way to mount them to the Crown Graphic.

they dont fit under the Graflok back and if i take the focusing hood off, theyre too small to attach there.

did i just waste $130? jeez i hope not
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you bought 6x7 backs for a 2x3 camera. You need the 6x7 back mounted on a plate that specifically fits the 4x5. See https://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/accessories.html#Grafmatic, scroll down to "Roll Film Backs." The illustration on the left shows what you need.

Here's a 6x7 back for the 4x5: https://tinyurl.com/5xcvk285
It says that particular item is missing the dark slide, but you can use one from the units you bought.
Ltdave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
Sounds like you bought 6x7 backs for a 2x3 camera. You need the 6x7 back mounted on a plate that specifically fits the 4x5. See https://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/accessories.html#Graf...

it appears thats exactly what i did...

no returns so unless theres someone HERE who is in need of them, i guess theyll just go on a shelf someplace
Ltdave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the proper back....

it came with an insert that went to 20 so i presume its for 220 film. i swapped it with one of the other backs that only counted to 10...

let me tell you that without a functioning rangefinder (mine doesnt seem to be connected to the lensboard in any manner because the imaged doesnt change) there is absolutely NOTHING SPEEDY about a Speed Graphic with a roll film back...

set up the camera for ground glass focus.

focus.

set up the camera for proper exposure being sure to close the lens!

swap out the graflok back for the roll film back. most time consuming, getting the graflok back off the camera.

pull the slide.

shoot the image.

reinsert slide.

swap backs again (because i dont want to walk around with the ground glass in my hand where i might bump something or someone and drop it).

move to my next subject

wow. it was kind of fun but i can certainly see why old time photography took so long!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: