Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auction find, I know the flash, but what is everything else?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustVisiting

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Auction find, I know the flash, but what is everything else? Reply with quote

Hi, first post, joined specifically to try to find out what Ive got here, and figured people here would know.

Stumbled on this on a local online auction page because I recognized the flash tube (yea, Im a fan), and since it was pretty cheap, I went ahead and got the lot for a price that, if nothing else, Id be happy just having the flash as a "look what I have" kind of thing (no, not planing to destroy it by turning it into a prop replica, or selling it off at a crazy price so someone else can destroy it). That being said, Im not really into cameras or photography, though I do appreciate old things, mostly old guitars/amps/woodworking tools, which is what I was looking for when I came across this.

From what I can tell, this bag of stuff sat in someones garage for decades, not particularly being cared for. Theres some rust on the flash tubes clamp ring, and everythings dirty. I dont know if any of it works, and dont know even how to open the camera up and havent messed with it much for fear of breaking somthing.

But Id like to know exactly what all of this is and what kind of value it would bring. If nothing else, enjoy looking at some pictures.

Thanks for looking

[/img]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3x4 Anniversary Speed Graphic with a retrofitted Graflok back, film holders, expired film and a film pack adapter.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/Anniversary.pdf
JustVisiting

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys so much for the info and for the manual especially! With that I managed to get the front open and take a look at the lens and everything. Very cool little piece of history.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial number is ink stamped on the bottom of the camera top on the handle side. It will be 6 digits and may be difficult to see.
peter k

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great camera, easier to use than my 4x5, because its smaller and lighter and we don't have to use a tripod with it. Mine has the standard spring back, but yours with the retrofitted Graflok back can be a great advantage, because you maybe able to find and add a roll film back to it.

Mine was manufactured in 1946, if you post the serial #, 45pss can look up the date for you.

The 3,25 x 4.25 film is not as readably available but can be special ordered from IlFord or the Shanghai GP3 3.25x4.25 can be purchased from Amazon or E-bay.

I cut my own down to size from different 4x5 stock.

Get familiar with it, have fun and give it a try.
JustVisiting

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks for all the info.

The serial number is 395350, although it isnt in ink, its stamped or cut into the metal underside of the top.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

395350 is 289 from the end of an order for 2000 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Speed Graphics
listed 5/14/1946.
Sometimes they ink stamped the serial numbers other times they stamped them in the wood depending on the camera model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: