Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distance Scale
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know what the strip is made of. Burnish the edges and try soldering.
wiux

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, you've been very helpful & patient, which I really appreciate (also thanks for the hand holding, as it's been pretty daunting since it's probably the biggest operation I've done on a camera so far). Just one more question: if I want to try replacing the actuator strip with a section of tape measure, how do I get it off the pin on the plunger? I tried doing a search but didn't have much luck finding the thread you mentioned.

Edit: Is this the thread? https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4011& A friend of mine who's a bit more hands on suggested epoxy, like JD Weld he said, & then sanding it. But would it be slippery enough? Right now it's wrapped in some scotch tape, but it's still catching unfortunately.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cannot find the post either, it may have been a response to another post with a unrelated/different title.
Fred Lustiig passed away in 2014 , no word on who got his parts stock.
Midwest Photo no longer has a supply of Graflex parts/accessories.
If you use JB Weld use the slow set.
You will have to cut the pin off then attach another, a straight pin shaft will work. Drill out the old, bond in the new. I don't know how the pin was put in at the factory and I never got an answer when I asked on this site.
There may be some extra thin tape for commercial use but no clue if it exists or how to purchase a small quantity.
wiux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!
wiux

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to post an update in case later someone else stumbles across this thread: the epoxy was a waste of time. After waiting 15 hours for it to set & cure, sanding & polishing caused the crack to reappear so I just used tape again as a sort of splint/cast as I had before. The situation's about the same. I think the thing that causes the distance scale to catch is mostly the bend in the strip (now that the crack's covered & no longer a factor--I used less tape this time & noticed no difference). Hopefully one day I can get the strip replaced.

On the other hand, the pin on the tube that holds the strip fell off by itself during disassembly. I didn't use glue to fix it, because it seems to be friction fit (although I didn't examine it very closely because the tube & pin are blindingly small) & it held up reasonably well after reinserting. I suspect originally it was held together by glue (that finally wore off on mine) or it's riveted (rather unlikely, but maybe) if not just friction.

I also scraped some blueing/paint off the rear while reinserting the bellows clips this time & had to use nail polish to cover up the shine, as I was afraid it'd create flare while shooting (it was very shiny & close to where the film plane would be).

I wish Fred Lustig & his stock of parts were still around, alas. Still, the camera went from nonworking distance scale to tolerably workable (&, most important, accurate). If I had a battery door & a new strip, I could shoot it handheld like on my Crown Graphic. Thanks again for the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: