Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top mounted Rangelite Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiux

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Top mounted Rangelite Help Reply with quote

I'm having a problem using the light coming out of the Rangelite: in theory everything's working, but there's no filament/double image being cast out of the rangefinder. In fact, it's a very vague & somewhat dim spot (dim compared to a camera I once inspected that had non working rangefinder, but an excellent Rangelite/lightbulb filament projection).

The rangefinder itself appears to be accurate &, as far as I can tell, there are no mirrors/lenses missing from the mechanism. I even tried swapping out lightbulbs, but to the same effect.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. look at the bulb filament. It must be center of the bulb in line with the posts it fits on. Sometimes they're off up to 45°.
2. The bulb must be focused on the transparent mirror.
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/TRFService.pdf
wiux

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, upon closer inspection, it seems I might be missing a part (presumably a lens) near the mirror.

https://imgur.com/a/WHzwIqZ

I'm also not completely sure what you mean about the bulb filament being in line with the posts, & I'm also unsure how to focus the bulb on the mirror (by moving it closer/farther?)[/img]
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm also not completely sure what you mean about the bulb filament being in line with the posts
In your picture note the two arms inside the bulb. The filament should be straight across them in the center of the globe not leaning up or down.

Quote:
I'm also unsure how to focus the bulb on the mirror (by moving it closer/farther?

Note that the bulb retainer and center contact are not fixed. Move the bulb in or out as needed to get a sharp filament image on the mirror in the housing cover.

That wood block will not illuminate a light bulb.
wiux

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
That wood block will not illuminate a light bulb.

But it was working so well so far, haha

Thanks for clarifying. Can you confirm whether I'm missing a part? The schematic in the link was reproduced a bit too dark to make out. A quick repositioning of the bulb didn't seem to change much, unfortunately.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you are not missing parts.
Positioning the bulb is trial and error, use small amounts at a time.
wiux

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you quite sure? In this picture of someone else's rangefinder there appears to be a lens of some sort in the housing near the mirror & lightbulb that's missing in mine.

Unfortunately, the only spare top rangefinder listed on eBay also seems to be missing that lens.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you quite sure? In this picture of someone else's rangefinder there appears to be a lens of some sort in the housing near the mirror & lightbulb that's missing in mine.

Good eye, I missed that.
Rangelight Housing #10 - lens rangelite. Pdf page 11.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: