Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand new owner, wondered if someone could date my camera?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beardedspoooon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: Brand new owner, wondered if someone could date my camera? Reply with quote

Camera serial number: 424042

Did some googling and it might be 1947, but I'm not sure how reliable that source was.

Pretty excited to start shooting. Bellows look decent but I think I'll want to replace them (kind of musty smelling, have them extended and a fan blowing on them to try and air it out). The rangefinder probably needs fixing also, I don't see any kind of split image looking through it. Lucked out and it came with the fresnel. Washed the ground glass and fresnel, seems reasonably bright. Shutter speeds sound good, but the shutter selector switch seems to not be terribly reliable.

Either way, excited to be in the club!

[/url]

[/img]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S/n 424042 is in a block of 2500 (422115 - 4246170) 4x5 Speed Graphic serial numbers issued 3/26/47. The next block of 4x5 Speed serial numbers was issued 11/12/47.

Your camera has a Graflok back and, you say, a fresnel. The Graflok was introduced in 1949 so yours is a retrofit.
beardedspoooon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm wrote:
S/n 424042 is in a block of 2500 (422115 - 4246170) 4x5 Speed Graphic serial numbers issued 3/26/47. The next block of 4x5 Speed serial numbers was issued 11/12/47.

Your camera has a Graflok back and, you say, a fresnel. The Graflok was introduced in 1949 so yours is a retrofit.

That's interesting, thanks for the info!
grat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shine a flashlight, or better yet, a laser pointer, through the eyepiece of the rangefinder. You should get two dots on the wall. They should turn into one dot if you have the range correct.

Actually, looking at the pictures, you have the focuspot, which does the same thing (L-shaped light on top of the rangefinder).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: