Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting started on shutter repair
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
financephotog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Getting started on shutter repair Reply with quote

I would like to try to repair a few things on my lens shutter (for a Crown Graphic, in 4x5), with a Graphex shutter.

The shutter is this one:

https://flic.kr/p/2kGaDxc

I have the repair manual for Graphex shutters (6711 AC). Here are my questions:

1) Is this a #1, #2, or #3 shutter? I can't seem to figure that out.

2) What is a minimum set of tools you recommend?

3) What are good lubricants here? I see that there's a grease and a light oil mentioned.

4) How common are the parts among shutter models? I am thinking of trying to get a shutter from the auction website as a parts donor. E.g. I see one listed that looks the same, but is for a 2x3. Would that be useful?

Projects I am trying to tackle are:

1) No flash syncing, on any setting.

2) Shutter doesn't close in B and T until I move the speed ring to a numbered setting.

3) Can't move the speed ring to 400.

So overall, not huge functionality problems, but a few things worth trying to fix if not too difficult.

Last edited by financephotog on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your link doesn't open for me.
financephotog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited to a different site. Hopefully it works now.
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it works. I think that's a no. 2, but I'm no authority. It's not a no.1, that's for sure; they're smaller.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Is this a #1, #2, or #3 shutter? I can't seem to figure that out.
Page 11 shows the lens in a #1 shutter, page 17 list the lens in a #2 and #3 shutter. You have a #2.
Quote:
2) What is a minimum set of tools you recommend?
Miniature screwdrivers, miniature needle nose pliers, small tweezers.
Quote:
3) What are good lubricants here? I see that there's a grease and a light oil mentioned.
I use TriFlow oil and Finish Line Grease available at bike shops and hardware stores. Clock oil can be used.
Quote:
4) How common are the parts among shutter models? I am thinking of trying to get a shutter from the auction website as a parts donor. E.g. I see one listed that looks the same, but is for a 2x3. Would that be useful?
The parts look similar but will not interchange between sizes.

Quote:
1) No flash syncing, on any setting.

Use metal polish and clean the internal contacts and BiPost pins. The sync assembly rarely needs disassembly, remove the assembly only.
Quote:
2) Shutter doesn't close in B and T until I move the speed ring to a numbered setting.
B&T levers sticking. T requires a second push of the release lever to close the shutter.
Quote:
3) Can't move the speed ring to 400.

The top speed should be hard to turn to as you are compressing a booster spring. Only attempt to turn to the highest speed with the shutter released.

Use https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-11-oz-QD-Electronic-Cleaner-05103/205021975? or 90% isopropyl alcohol for cleaning.
financephotog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@45PSS, awesome! Thank you so much!
financephotog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry, it's been a while but I am finally back to tinkering and tackling these issues.

Here is what's going on with the shutter in T:

https://flic.kr/p/2kUFN9h

The retarding mechanism runs a bit and then either stutters, or, as in this case, stops. Sometimes it can be nudged to continue, by putting a little pressure on the cocking lever (in the opposite direction. If it is made to continue, then it finishes up, and the shutter can be closed. Incidentally (or relatedly) it also seems like the shutter blades are not opening all the way here. This is a bit erratic: sometimes it doesn't freeze all the way like here, but there is always a stutter at some point as the retarding mechanism runs.

How can I fix this?

On a separate note, clumsy me managed to get some of the "light oil" lubricant on the shutter blades. What's the best way to clean this without damaging anything?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shutter is sticking due to dried lubrication.
Either cleaner listed my previous post will clean the shutter blades.
financephotog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thank you. Does that mean I have to disassemble all the way down to the shutter (which seems like it's stage 6 in the manual), or can I do this reasonably with the shutter in place?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the shutter working properly follow the disassembly instructions for disassembly of the #2 and #3 shutters through stage 5. Do not disassemble the aperture blades, they're too difficult to reassemble and usually do not need servicing. The flash sync removes as an assembly and usually does not need to be dissembled.
If you familiarize yourself with the part names and follow the instructions you will have a properly working shutter.
A cotton swab moistened with alcohol can be used at any point to wipe oil from either the shutter or aperture blades.
financephotog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, got it. Yes, I noticed that one of the stages (stage 3?) consists of disassembling the sync assembly after removing it. That's the part I can skip, I think.

OK, got my work cut out. But this should be interesting and fun.
financephotog

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at it. Good progress so far, I think:

https://flic.kr/p/2kWb5yy

Question when thinking about reassembly. Both the auxiliary spring and the main lever spring seemed like they had a lot of tension and might be tricky to reengage. Any technical pointers on how to do that?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main lever spring can be a pain. Set the bottom leg of the spring in position then compress the the spring and slip the top leg into place.
financephotog

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip on the springs!

Meanwhile, I just finished disassembly:

https://flic.kr/p/2kXqtuX

The focus lever spring was supposed to be removed, but I couldn't get it off its post, so I just left it there and took the support plate out with it still attached. Hopefully I can just orient the spring the right way, as I put the support plate back in, as even now it seems hard to pull off.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that work mat.

Not removing that spring is not a big deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: