Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple of Crown Graphic lens questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
campy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: A couple of Crown Graphic lens questions Reply with quote

I have a top mounted rangefinder that came with the Xenar 135mm and the focus using rangefinder matches gg focus. I also just bought a Nikkor-W 135mm and a Fujinon-W 210mm at a good price. I was hoping to use the Nikkor in place of the Xenar but after installing the focus with the rangefinder is off. My first questions is what is the exact procedure to set infinity stops and existing cam for use with the Nikkor? My other question is since I already have a 135 Xenar should I sell the Nikkor 135 and get a lens and cam to use for tighter candid pictures using the rangefinder and which one would be best. I intend to use the Fujinon 210mm strictly focusing off the ground glass.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens are rarely their marked (nominal) focal length. They can be up to 3mm either side of nominal. The cam list is https://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/top-rangefinder-cams.html . There are 5 cams/focal lengths for 135mm lens, 6 if you count the 138.7mm P32.

Graflex Graphic cameras made from 1912 to 1946 had the infinity stops set with the yoke fully retracted. Starting with the Pacemaker series in 1947 onward the yoke is to be run forward .040 inch ±.010 inch then the focus lock set. The front standard is then moved forward until an infinity target at least 5000 feet away is critically sharp on the ground glass with the front standard square to the yoke. Slide the infinity stops against the front standard, tighten the front screws then move the front standard back and tighten the rear screws. A 1.8mm /,07 inch wide slot screwdriver just fits the infinity stop screw heads.
With a calibration cam installed in the rangefinder adjust the rangefinder to show infinity at the same yoke position.
The Graphic Top Rangefinder service instructions gives the full procedure: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/TRFService.pdf

The full Top Rangefinder Service Manual is available here:
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/servicemanual.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: