Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distance Scale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiux

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Distance Scale Reply with quote

Is there an easy way to calculate/mark distance on a Super Graphic (other than trial & error)? The standard scale on mine doesn't work due to the metal 'ribbon' being broken.

I tried cannibalising a distance scale from another (Crown) Graphic but discovered it wouldn't fit onto the rails.

I often use a Crown Graphic to zone focus, but would like to use the Super for that as well if possible.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The standard scale on mine doesn't work due to the metal 'ribbon' being broken.

I assume you're referring to the actuator piece at the rear of the bed? If so its part of the rangefinder tube. I just finished a 1958 Super and that actuator strip was not attached but on later serial number bodies it was attached.
Somewhere in the earliest post on this site a member attempted to make an actuator strip from an old tape measure.

The simplest solution will be to put a piece of painters tape on the bed guide, mark next to the front? edge of the infinity stop when the lens is at infinity. Next set up a test target, mount the camera on a tripod, measure from the focus panel to the target for 25 feet, 15 feet, 10 feet, 8 feet, 6 feet, 4 feet ground glass focusing at each distance and marking the tape on the bed.
wiux

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I assume you're referring to the actuator piece at the rear of the bed? If so its part of the rangefinder tube. I just finished a 1958 Super and that actuator strip was not attached but on later serial number bodies it was attached.

Yes, I guess so. The actuator's there (& I think unattached), but there's nothing extending from the rangefinder tube. Manually moving the strip doesn't change the scale either.

By focus panel, do you mean the ground glass? Also, do you have any recommendations for marking the bed (if I'm understanding your suggestion correctly; it might be me being tired but I'm having trouble picturing it in my head, although I think I have the gist)
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the cam door, is there a cam in the slot?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-MdghaXh3eDAxZW9UOFU/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-yPqxqZ0f5X1_otAEOvcwaQ
Service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TR2qR_wjn2njGYAkm6CCzlWQX18z_W-k/view?usp=sharing
Focus panel is the frame assembly that holds the ground glass and fresnel.

Infinity is roughly the lens focal length from the ground glass. As you focus on closer distances the front standard/lens moves forward from the ground glass.
Attaching a strip of painters tape to the bed next to the rails use a straight edge to mark the position of the front standard at each desired focus distance. You can use any part of the front standard for the reference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: