Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manual trip arm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfaffoto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Manual trip arm Reply with quote

Anybody have a Speed Graphic manual trip arm *******?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't.

I b'lieve -- could be mistaken -- that the trip arms are somewhat shutter specific. Which shutter do you want to fire using the body release?
alt.kafka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread ...

I'm using a lens in a Copal 0 shutter on my Crown Graphic. The Copal is just barely too small for the shutter release to fit comfortably under the factory standard 3/4" trip arm. I can sort of finesse it get it to work, but then the shutter release doesn't return enough to be able to use the preview actuator. I could really use a 7/8"-1". I have my camera fully calibrated for rangefinder use, and it's the last little piece I need to really be able to use it conveniently as a press/event camera.

I've heard that the trip arms were available in different sizes, but AFAIK, these are scarce as hen's teeth. Has anyone jury-rigged up a substitute, maybe using off-the-shelf hardware? There has to be some way to do it.

I think I could also improve it if I take up some of the slack in the shutter pull cable. There just doesn't seem to be enough travel in the trip arm to trigger a Copal. Is that something that can be adjusted without major surgery?

Last edited by alt.kafka on Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side RF service manual shows:
31102-P1 Arm-manual trip (#3 shutter)
31102-P2 Arm-manual trip (#2 shutter)
31102-P3 Arm-manual trip (#1 shutter)
Attaching parts
107-2-2C Screw-machine, 1/8 in. lg., #2-64, oval flilster head, slotted, steel, chrome plate.
The top RF service manual changes Arm to Clamp.

The shutter sizes are for Graphex shutters. A similar problem occurs with Synchro Compur shutters, insufficient arm movement to operate B and T, speeds operate.

Grind off those hens teeth, hone your machining skills and make a arm long enough then re engineer the body release for a longer travel movement or a quicker response from the body release.
alt.kafka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual trip arm seems easy enough. It's just an L-shaped hinge with a screw to squeeze it tight onto the pull stick. I'll make one like this:

https://youtu.be/HozfxFLmQnc

I'm not sure yet what can be done to increase the travel. If I can get just enough motion with a longer trip arm, maybe I don't need to solve that problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: