Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart calibration troubles.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamradio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Kalart calibration troubles. Reply with quote

I'm trying to calibrate my later sidemount Kalart to a Raptar 135. Should be an easy task.

However, this is proving to be a nightmare. I've messed around for four or five hours, doing the procedure in the Kalart manual. I can never get it to be spot on; I'll get everything calibrated to 15', then start on the short scale, upsetting infinity and the long scale once again. Making tiny adjustments, I'll get everything to what seems good, but I can never get it to be accurate closer than 6' or so. One thing that seems weird; my long scale is set to around 6 and short scale around 7, I think––this seems backwards, as the recommended starting points in the manual are 15 and 3.5, respectively.

Is this problem due to the rangefinder arm not being clocked properly, or something to that effect?

Additionally, is the RF only to be used when aimed at objects at the same height as the RF, in a given situation? I find when calibrating, if I aim at a subject higher or lower than the rangefinder by a few feet, focus is a bit off, even at longer ranges.

Thanks.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6' is about correct for the close focus distance of a 135mm lens with any rangefinder.

For accurate calibration the target must be at the same level as the camera as shown on page 8 of the manual, http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kalart_1.html .

I have never found the numbers listed as starting points to be the final correct setting for any given lens.

You may have to fully disassemble the rangefinder, clean all parts in a residue free degreasaer, lube lightly and reassemble to get it to adjust correctly.
http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/kalart/ may be of some help.
Or you could send it to me for repair.
bretpim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Lommen Kalart calibration instructions Reply with quote

I have a miniature sped graphic with a side-mounted Kalart rangefinder. I had trouble calibrating the rangefinder with the instructions from the Kalart manual. I could not get 25' and 15' simultaneously correct. So I searched the forums for Kalart calibration and I found the link to Lommen's calibration instructions. I have, as Lommen recommends, adjusted the rangefinder so that the "brass cam stops 9 mm from the left while the track is all the way back in the camera house."

Then I went back to trying to calibrate the rangefinder. At 25' the moving image was too high but I noticed that as I adjusted the rear indicator (4 on p. 7 of Kalart manual) the image moved up not down! I took it apart and drew some diagrams. I think that the problem is the 9mm distance from Lommen's directions. With the cam set this way, the cam leans towards the back of the camera as it descends. This means that as the rear indicator is lowered the top of the long "hooked" lever in the rangefinder (the one affected by the rear indicator) is pushed towards the rear of the camera which raises the moving image, the opposite of what should happen.

Are Lommen's instructions for a different rangefinder than the one on the Miniature Speed Graphic? If the 9mm distance isnot right, what distance should I set the brass cam too?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too found the 9mm setting in error, 9.5 to 10mm is more correct. I don't know how many examples Mr. Lommen used for his instructions. I try to use at least 3 or more if possible to allow for production tolerances of the day.

Some of Mr. Lommen's instructions are jister get it going not make it last a long time repair.

Disassemble your rangefinder, clean all parts, put a light trace of oil on the pivots and a light trace of grease where metal parts slide on one another. Use machine oil or clock oil and whilte lithium grease or similar. Parts are sticking or otherwise not moving smoothly that is preventing proper adjustment.
Do not use 3in1 oil or WD40.
bretpim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 45PSS. I will clean and lube and then adjust the cam distance to the values you suggest. I will report back in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: