Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anniversary Speed Graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexvaras

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Anniversary Speed Graphic Reply with quote

Hi all,

Here Alex from Moscow with a new camera.

Anniversary Speed Graphic.

First let me know if it's not an Anniversary model.
I couldn't find any serial number but from this model I think it's normal?
I don't know if the Optar was sold originally with this camera.
There is no ID plate at the front gate leather, it seem it was peeled off and reglued later?

Focal plane shutter works and it seems on B and C mode accurate, D slower then it should and A a bit faster. I haven't all speeds yet.
The only 'trouble' is from T to O is that the knob for changing speeds doesn't complete its turn and it has to be helped turing the knob a bit to be at rest, so the operation of T to O to close (which is for long exposures) doesn't work correctly. I wonder from where should I start looking for solving this issue. The main thing for getting this camera was shooting with barrel lenses.

In general the camera would do a general cleaning of rails and adjusting the 135mm with the rangefinder.

At the moment this is all I can think... ah! If you know a provider of these wooden lens boards that sends abroad I will be happy to order a couple.

Thank you for looking,
Alex
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I couldn't find any serial number but from this model I think it's normal?

The serial number is ink stamped on the bottom side of the camera top, handle side. With the front standard fully retracted into the body, bed open as in the picture, turn the camera upside down and look with a flashlight. The number is six digits.
And, yes, its an Anniversary Speed Graphic.
Quote:
I don't know if the Optar was sold originally with this camera.

Optar serial numbers were not recorded so its not possible to date the lens. Is the Graphex shutter full sync, M sync only, or X sync only?
Quote:
There is no ID plate at the front gate leather, it seem it was peeled off and reglued later?

Don't know what you're asking about here. The speed plate by the FPS is the only factory plate installed. Any other plate was an add on by a company or the military.

Quote:
Focal plane shutter works and it seems on B and C mode accurate, D slower then it should and A a bit faster. I haven't all speeds yet.
The only 'trouble' is from T to O is that the knob for changing speeds doesn't complete its turn and it has to be helped turing the knob a bit to be at rest, so the operation of T to O to close (which is for long exposures) doesn't work correctly. I wonder from where should I start looking for solving this issue. The main thing for getting this camera was shooting with barrel lenses.

The FPS needs a CLA.
The factory service manual can be downloaded at:
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/AnniversaryService1.pdf
The snail and tension knob are tightened together and attempting to remove the tension knob without first removing the snail will twist the end of the lower roller shaft off rendering the camera non repairable as replacement roller shafts are not available.

Quote:
If you know a provider of these wooden lens boards that sends abroad I will be happy to order a couple.

The Anniversary uses Graphic C lens boards. They're easy to make on a table saw. The links are dead but this post may help:
https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=2144&highlight=wood+lens+board
alexvaras

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Updated info:

Serial number 348854

Graphex has flash sync with off, 0, 5 and 20 marks.

How difficult is the CLA of the FPS? I have done some CLA before, mainly leaf shutters and folding cameras so doing something with no spares anywhere gives my second thoughts...
Any special tools I should have?
If there is a video of doing this service it will be very helpful for me, not English native speaker...

Thank you a lot,
Alex
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

348854 is about 1/3 into a listing for 2500 cameras listed in March 1945. It was likely built in the first half of 1945. It is a 4 X 5 camera.
With marks for 0, 5, 20 says that's an early full sync shutter and most likely factory original but definitely period correct as electronic flash was just coming into use. 0 stands for 0 milliseconds flash delay or electronic flash sync noted as X sync a few years later; 5 stands for a 5 millisecond flash delay for type F flash bulbs; 20 stands for a 20 millisecond flash delay for standard M type flash bulbs.

I don't watch videos and know of none for the Anniversary Speed.

Look at the tension knob, the snail is the inner part with two holes. Form a pair of needle nose pliers to fit into those holes, hold the knob with a regular pair of pliers being careful not to mar the knob and unscrew the snail then unscrew the knob from the shaft while slowly allowing the tension to release.

You will likely find this helpful:
https://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/c-3_graflex_camera.pdf
alexvaras

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing manual! I'm gonna printed and read it carefully... even it has shutters and the schemes

First shots made with the FPS where great, I accurately metered the current speeds.

Now I have to get ready before doing the FPS myself

Thank you for your help! Greatly appreciated!! I'm gonna have fun with it and the brass lenses ))

Cheers,
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: