Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4X5 Spring Back Hardware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ynnek

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: 4X5 Spring Back Hardware Reply with quote

I have an anniversary model & a Pacemaker, both 4x5. The anniversary model, I bought with 1 film holder (Slotted) & it also came with an incomplete spring back, which accepts modern film holders. The spring back is missing the clips that hold would hold in place, the focusing hood. Looks as though the focusing hood from the Pacemaker would fit, but I do not have the "clips" to keep it in place. I may have to fabricate these myself, if I cannot locate any. I have scoured EBAY, to no avail. Is there a part number I should look for? Does anyone have 2? The other option would be to buy a Graflok back.
IanG

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you actually have the slotted Graflex back, I don't know if they varied but the one in front of me uses the same clips and focus hood as the Pacemakers.

Restored a Crown Graphic recently that had a Graflex back, it looked like someone had deliberately removed the spring of Graflok back and swapped it over. The screw hole under the leading edge of the GG hold frame was damaged because the seller had missed the screw and just wrenched the back off The screws there because of liting the GG holder to insert the DDS film holders, it's not used for the Gralex back.

The bits you need do appear on ebay fairly regularly but at stupid prices. A wanted advert on the LF forum or Photrio is your best bet (but you need to be a member/subscriber) to post adverts.

Looks like exactly the same clips are used on the Quarter plate Pacemaker backs, I just checked but they've gone on the back I have. That might be a cheap way to get them though.

Ian
ynnek

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanG wrote:
Do you actually have the slotted Graflex back, I don't know if they varied but the one in front of me uses the same clips and focus hood as the Pacemakers.

Restored a Crown Graphic recently that had a Graflex back, it looked like someone had deliberately removed the spring of Graflok back and swapped it over. The screw hole under the leading edge of the GG hold frame was damaged because the seller had missed the screw and just wrenched the back off The screws there because of liting the GG holder to insert the DDS film holders, it's not used for the Gralex back.

The bits you need do appear on ebay fairly regularly but at stupid prices. A wanted advert on the LF forum or Photrio is your best bet (but you need to be a member/subscriber) to post adverts.

Looks like exactly the same clips are used on the Quarter plate Pacemaker backs, I just checked but they've gone on the back I have. That might be a cheap way to get them though.

Ian

Yes, I have the back & 1 film holder. I tested it out last week. Shutter needs CLA, but no light leaks. Downfall is only 1 film holder. I may just draw these clips up & make my own. I winder if 3D printed ones would do the job. I may try that. Thanks for your help.
IanG

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ynnek"]
IanG wrote:

Yes, I have the back & 1 film holder. I tested it out last week. Shutter needs CLA, but no light leaks. Downfall is only 1 film holder. I may just draw these clips up & make my own. I winder if 3D printed ones would do the job. I may try that. Thanks for your help.

Can't you just take thebit's from the Graflex back and put them in the Spring back

The clips are sprung steel so 3D printing might work very short time but not for long and then you'd lose the focus hood . . . . . . .

If you've no clips in the Graflex back I guess I coould post the ones from the one I've ended up with, for a small donation to my acquisitions fund

I have a Compact Graflex, postcard sized SLE, that takes slotted holders but I'm adapting it to take modern 9x12cm DDS film holders, 5x4 DDS will fit as well as they have the same outside dimensions.

Ian
ynnek

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="IanG"]
ynnek wrote:
IanG wrote:

Can't you just take thebit's from the Graflex back and put them in the Spring back

The clips are sprung steel so 3D printing might work very short time but not for long and then you'd lose the focus hood . . . . . . .

If you've no clips in the Graflex back I guess I coould post the ones from the one I've ended up with, for a small donation to my acquisitions fund

I have a Compact Graflex, postcard sized SLE, that takes slotted holders but I'm adapting it to take modern 9x12cm DDS film holders, 5x4 DDS will fit as well as they have the same outside dimensions.

Ian

There are no "bits" to remove on the "Graphic" back. The ground glass / hood assembly is removed from the back and replaced with the film holder. I will upload pics when I get home from work.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have your back names confused.
Graphic: spring focus panel that lifts up and the film holder slides in between the focus panel and camera.
Graflex: slightly wider than a standard back, slide bar at the top and a fixed bar at the bottom, changed to sliding bars top and bottom in the late 1940's. Focus panel is an accessory and must be removed to insert a film holder.
Graflok: Film holder slides in like a spring back. Focus panel removable, accessories held in place by sliding bars top and bottom that are notched and inward tapered.

READ https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/graphicbacks.htm

Anniversary speed service manual: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/AnniversaryService1.pdf

Pacemaker Speed service manual: https://graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic.pdf
ynnek

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do have the backs mixed up. Apologies for the confusion. I am wanting to get around having to keep different film holders between my two Speedgraphics. The spring back supports the "modern" film holders, which I have 6 of, as I only have 1 of the older type.
ynnek

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I need I found on the Pacemaker service manual. Figure 3: Graphic Camer Back, part #9 Retainer - Hood Assembly. I need two of these.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I need I found on the Pacemaker service manual. Figure 3: Graphic Camer Back, part #9 Retainer - Hood Assembly. I need two of these.

What you looked at is the reference diagram for the servicing instructions. These make identifying the parts in the text easier.
The second half of the manual is listed as Parts but is also known as Illustrated Parts Breakdown (IPB). On pdf page 42, nomenclature for Figure 9, Graphic back, index 9 p/n 30371-P1 retainer, hood assembly with index 10 the attaching screw. These are the same parts used in a Graflok back, figure 8 , index 5 and 6 on pdf page 40.

A Graflok back also takes modern film holders and may be the way to go on one of the bodies IF you can find one complete at a reasonable price.

There was a retrofit Graflok made for the Anniversary Speed. The screw holes are in a different position than the Pacemaker Graflok. They will not be a direct interchange. The screw holes in the Pacemaker Graflok can be elongated to align with the Anniversary mounts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: