Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electronic flash for super speed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JESimmons

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Electronic flash for super speed Reply with quote

I’ve just picked up a Super Speed Graphic and am learning about the electric shutter and haven’t yet figured out for sure what the flash contacts do. Is there any potential electrical problem with attaching a more or less modern electronic flash (Metz, Sunpak) to the camera
hsandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own that model, but the photos I've seen of the stock shutter that has the super speed feature (1/1000s) show the 2-prong bipost flash contacts. You can use any modern electronic flash as long as the shutter has an X-sync switch (there is probably a lever on the shutter showing at least two positions, one marked X and one marked M. Use the X position). The remaining problem is just mechanical - how to convert the bipost contacts to either a PC coaxial connector or a hot shoe for your flash. When I had such a shutter, I just used alligator clips soldered to a PC connector cable. There are cables made by Paramount for attaching to bipost flash contacts, but many have found that the electrical cords for shavers fit nicely over the bipost connector. Then you can cut off the other end of the shaver cord and solder to a pc connector. B&H sells inexpensive pc to hot shoe adaptors.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my experience with Paramount cables, I'd recommend that you go with one of their customer-specified combinations, in your case bi-post to whatever flash connector you have. Paramount makes a quality product, and IMO there's no use fudging around with make-shift arrangements. Besides, you might actually want to use your electric razor someday, and then where would you be?

Here's a direct link to Paramount's Graflex page:
https://www.paramountcords.com/about/graflex-page/

Drill down in the applicable categories and select your combinations, cord type (coiled or straight), length, etc. (BTW, I find the Paramount site not exactly intuitive to navigate, so you may be better off ordering over the phone.)
JESimmons

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I’m aware of the need for a proper cable. My question is about whether the volts/amps of either the camera or the flash will damage the other. This electric shutter seems to be a different thing from a mechanical shutter that is basically a switch when it comes to triggering a flash.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I misread your query. In re: the Super Graphic per se, I'm ignorant, but there are knowledgeable members on the board who can help. Anybody?
hsandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JESimmons wrote:
Thanks. I’m aware of the need for a proper cable. My question is about whether the volts/amps of either the camera or the flash will damage the other. This electric shutter seems to be a different thing from a mechanical shutter that is basically a switch when it comes to triggering a flash.

I think you will be fine. AFAIK, the electric shutter release on the Super Speed is just a solenoid which actuates the mechanical shutter. The flash contacts are then bridged mechanically as usual when the shutter trips.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Super Speed Graphic has a socket on the right side of the camera. The electrical contacts for the Graphic 1000 are on the rear of the lens board. Looking into the front standard top right is common, top left is flash sync.

The socket center is common with the front and rear contacts the flash contact and solenoid contact. The shutter release solenoid can be operated by a 3 cell synchronizer. There is no voltage applied to the flash sync contact by the camera's electronics unless there is a malfunction. There is a M/X sync switch on the lens board.

The electrical contacts from the lens board are made through .0015 brass strips 5/8 wide that are between the bellows liner and outer covering.

A site search for Super Speed Graphic with all the terms selected turns up 307 hits. The titles are for the concern for the most part. The circuit diagram is currently available at http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/SynchPlugSchem1.jpg

The Graflex 1000 shutter was later used on the Speed Graphic 1000 which has the BiPost sync contacts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: