Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Focal Shutter - what to do

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ariston

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Focal Shutter - what to do Reply with quote

I am just starting in 4x5 and received an Anniversary Speed Graphic at a great price. I have two questions:

1) What is the best way to service the focal plane shutter? It gets stuck, and I have read different opinions of how to lubricate it on the bushings, from automotive grease to clock oil. I am not confident enough to take the thing apart, but I have removed the back and can see the bushings on the rollers, so I can lubricate those if I know what to use.

2) How hard is it to replace the bellows, and where would I get some? I checked it in the dark, and there are light leaks everywhere. I actually coated the whole bellows with liquid electric tape and am going to try it like that with a dark cloth over it, but I am not confident that will work. I have ordered film to try it out, though, and want to give myself the best chance of success I can.

Any advice is appreciated!
JESimmons

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest the liquid electrical tape. I have a wartime Speed that has been so treated. Mine is light tight.
I, too, have read several methods for lubricating.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin holes/light leaks: Paint the inside of the bellows with Golden Heavy Body Acrylic Artist Paint #1040 Carbon Black diluted 1:1 with water in two to three light coats allowing 12 to 24 hours between coats. Glue rip stop nylon (black) to the inside on split seams/pleats.
The bellows are leather exterior.

The bellows are attached to the rear of the camera with #22 or #24 guage brads/nails 1/2 inch long. A PITA to remove, likely rusted and not reusable, no longer available but you might find a small town mom and pop hardware store with some. Bond the replacement bellows and make repairs with Pliobond Contact cement.

Roller bushings: have a hole in the center through which grease can be inseerted with a needle grease gun. The bushings also unscrew from the body, use the notches and a spanner. DO NOT transpose the bushings as the rollers wear to the bushing. Graflex recommened graphitted grease. White lighium with extra fine powdered graphite added works well.

Anniversary Speed instructions: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/Anniversary.pdf
Anniversary Speed Service instructions: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/AnniversaryService1.pdf
Ariston

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. I am going to try just some grease first, I guess, and see if that loosens it up.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are currently no NOS bellows for the Anny Speed on ebay in 4x5 format. There is a seller in Hong Kong sellig new bellows for various cameras including some Graflex graphic 2x3 models for around $60. You can try contacting them and see if they can make one for your camera. There is also Camera Bellows and a few othr companies that custom make replacement bellows for cameras at reasonable prices. You have to send them your old bellows for a pattern. Be sure to tell them you coated the exterior with goo as it might make a difference to them.
IanG

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fitted two sets of the Chinese bellows to cameras, a Pacemaker Speed Graphic and an MPP MicroPress (a Speed Graphic in disguise) and they are excellent quality. However they were supplied by the owners of the cameras but I think there's really just the one main supplier.

A set for a Pacemaker Graphic will fit an Anniversary Graphic but so will the bellows fora pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic which are slightly larger at the lens standard. The Pacemaker ones are slightly narrower because of the front tilt.

The Chinese bellows come with no frames so you need to keep or make new parts, teh Anniversary bellows are screwed to the lens board holder of the front standard.

Camera Bellows ceased trading - they and Lee Filters were owned by the UK Arriflex distributor. However they continue as Custom Bellows, in Birmingham UK, essentially the same original Glanville family descendants making the bellows. They would be far more expensive than the Chinese bellows.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: