Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do I need?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayjaydub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: What do I need? Reply with quote

Trying to figure out what I need with my miniature speed graphic. It has a back on it, sync plug top left, shutter curtain exposed, sliding locking bars top and bottom. There is no ground glass, no cover. No way to attach plate/film holder. What is this back that I have? (Or part thereof). Would love to send picture, but can't figure that out either. If anyone has the bits I need- also a rangefinder?? Thanks.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It has a back on it, sync plug top left, shutter curtain exposed, sliding locking bars top and bottom. There is no ground glass, no cover. No way to attach plate/film holder. What is this back that I have? (Or part thereof)

Graflex Back, it uses 2x3 Graflex film holders. Graflex holders have a grove where standard film holders have a double ridge at the darkslide end.

Quote:
Would love to send picture, but can't figure that out either.

Post your pictures to an image hosting site such as flickr then link to them or embed them here.[/quote]
jayjaydub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. So, no ground glass? Just a multi-sheet sheet film holder that is retained by the 2 plated sliding bars?
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gg focus panel was made for Graflex backs but its very rare to find one these days.

There is a 2x3 Grafmatic on ebay that will work on either Graphic (spring) or Graflex backs. 2x3 sheet film is available but limited in the number of emulsions. You can also adapt a roll film holder to the camera.

Someone may have modified your camera and put a Graflok back on it. Do the lock bars taper inward or do they stay parallel to the film opening when moved to their inward most position ?
jayjaydub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The locking bars move parallel.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to PacificRimCamera.com click on Photographica Pages then click on Graflex (Folmer & Swching) then on Graflex Backs and Roll Film Holders.
https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/gbacks2.htm

Later versions of the Graflex Back had sliders both top and bottom while earlier versions have a fixed bar bottom and a slider on top. The double slider version was put into service in the late 1940"s likely 1945 or 1946.
jayjaydub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief, how complicated! Are Graphic fans heavy drinkers, by any chance? Judging from the Pacific Rim pictures, I have a Graflok 2x3 back, ie with chrome retaining bars top and bottom. They both slide parallel to one another. And this would take a Graphic film holder, without the groove in the sides. Or a similar Graphic roll film holder.

Hope this is right, I'm mainly going on the Pacific Rim photos. My camera is a match for their Graflok illustration (except it doesn't have the swing up viewfinder in the top center. )
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflok sliders have two tabs on the film holder side and an open area on the outside and slide inward at a 20° angle with a pin in the center of the outer edge that the focus panel hooks onto.

Graflex sliders are straight edge the full length of the bar (may have a rounded ends) and do not go inward when moved into the locked position.

Graflok backs will have a grove near the edge of the right side of the film holder seat; a Graflex will have the edge of the metal back frame at the right edge of the film holder seat.

The late version of the Graflex fools many even the experienced. Finish is irrelevant.
jayjaydub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: One more time. Reply with quote

I have looked again at the Pacific Rim pix- mine sure looks like a Graflok. It has a hook top and bottom midway across the opening- a chrome sliding bar top and bottom behind the springs. The bottom bar has a grasping handle at each end, the top one has a right hand end handle only.
Both top and bottom retaining bars slide to the left to lock a holder in place. They do slide down at an angle but remain parallel.

Now all I need are some Graflok- usable film holders, or maybe a roll film holder, (Polaroid????) and maybe a rangefinder. I don't have a classic flash either, but that's the least of my worries at this point.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several Graphic roll film holders for 2x3 format on ebay and 1 focus panel for Graflok back with some film holders.
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_13.html

Does your camera have the holes on the right side where a rangefinder once was?

Does your camera have a focus scale?

Does your camera have infinity stops?
jayjaydub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to Rangefinder holes, and Yes to Focus scales. Also yes to infinity stops.

Thank you again for your guidance re what back do I have. I have seen a few rollfilm holders on ebay- a bit rich for my blood! I have some sheet film holders buried somewhere in the garage- I will see if they fit, if not will pick up one or 2. Then search for sheet film. There's a good film and camera shop here called Blue Moon that can probably help there.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-2x3-2-x3-Miniature-Speed-Graphic-Camera-Kalart-Synchronized-Rangefinder/153358878466?hash=item23b4e6c702:g:sZUAAOSwxtVcKxF3:rk:10:pf:0

The actuating arm is usually missing and the beamsplitter is usually bad, this one may be good, its a type F.
https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6684

https://graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-adjustment.html
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I need? Reply with quote

jayjaydub wrote:
Trying to figure out what I need with my miniature speed graphic. It has a back on it, sync plug top left, shutter curtain exposed, sliding locking bars top and bottom. There is no ground glass, no cover. No way to attach plate/film holder. What is this back that I have? (Or part thereof). Would love to send picture, but can't figure that out either. If anyone has the bits I need- also a rangefinder?? Thanks.

As you've already noted, Graflok back, not Graflex. When Graflex introduced the Graflok back in 1949, they offered backs to be retrofitted to older Graphics. The retrofit Graflok back for the Miniature Speed Graphic has a sync terminal at the upper left corner. Your camera has one.

If you're patient and keep looking, a 2x3 Graflok focusing panel will turn up on eBay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: