Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown Graphic 75mm Lens
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Hallett

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should try using a Speed rather than a Crown. On a 4x5 Speed, the bed has to be dropped to use a 90 mm Angulon, and the correct position of the standard for this lens is right at the front of the rear track - it sits firmly on the rear track without sticking out beyond it. You should then have no problem using a 75 with a Speed - the extra body depth solves the problem. I occasionally use a 65 mm Super Angulon with a 4 x 5 Anniversary, with the standard pushed all the way to the back of the track and the bed dropped. On the Crown, on the other hand, the 90mm Angulon does not require the bed to be dropped (and Graflex's literature says so) but the front standard bridges the gap between the front and rear tracks, sitting about one-half on each one. I can see why there would be a problem with a 75.
Lobalobo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Hallett wrote:
On the Crown, the 90mm Angulon does not require the bed to be dropped (and Graflex's literature says so) but the front standard bridges the gap between the front and rear tracks, sitting about one-half on each one. I can see why there would be a problem with a 75.

Thanks. The solution I've arrived at, with help from at least one post in this thread, is to have a lens board made with an 18mm "extension tube," as the manufacturer calls it; that way I can stick with the Crown. A bit pricey (over $100) but the 75mm lens is the one I'll most often use and I'd like to be able to used it while focusing at any distance without jerry rigging the location of the front standard.
Lobalobo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsandler wrote:
So if you drop the bed, crank the rails forward as much as possible and pull the front standard out so it's actually a bit beyond the end of the rear rails (cantilevered, as I described in a post above), how much closer than infinity can you focus?

Doing exactly that costs me 18mm of latitude, which is what I'm trying to recapture (and will with a custom lens board, which is simple if a little pricey).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: