Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Century Graphic rangefinder arm question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robadore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Century Graphic rangefinder arm question. Reply with quote

I hope I have the correct forum here. I just bought a beautiful Century Graphic, like new, really. It came without a lens which is no problem as I have another Century and a number of lenses. My problem is the rangefinder. For some reason the rangefinder arm was not seating correctly in the roller on the rail at the bottom. As the focus knob was turned there would be a click sound as the arm jumped off the roller on the bottom. As it turns out (I think) the roller was not seated squarely where it is screwed into the focus rails. No matter what I did it would not seat squarely, so I put a shim under it and that fixed that. I then had to slightly bend the very end of the arm. It now will seat squarely. But my main problem is now the re-tighten the arm at the top where it had been. Can anyone help me here? I am hoping that I will not have to open the rangefinder to do this. I am really not apt enough in the brains department to tackle internal rangefinder adjustment. I just want to retighten the arm. I can make the rest of the external adjustments from there as I do know how to do that part. I hope I have made sense here..Thanks to all..Robbie
Robadore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! I cannot believe this. After spending a lot of time on this yesterday I had nearly given up hope. Now, after five minutes of fiddling I have it set correctly. It was all trial and error, just moving a little each time until at one point I tightened the set screw and the arm was exactly in the right place. So now I am good to go. Thanks to all who at least read this! Robbie
shutterfinger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalart or Hugo Meyer?
Robadore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Kalart. I believe all the Centurys were equipped with the Kalart..
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.flickr.com/gp/thirteenthumbs/3EE483
called a no adjustment hole kalart newer versions are very similar in makeup and the same in operation/mechanics.

The arm you were having trouble with connects to A in the 3rd photo.
Arm alignment on the shaft is usually the cause of the arm not engaging the rail eccentric.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-Mdghc0FwQkRuWEhFZEE/view?usp=sharing
Robadore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! The arm placement and the roller angle were the culprits here. This camera shows absolutely no sign of use. I have a feeling that the rangefinder coupling never worked properly right from the factory..a lemon if you will. Even with the top of the arm set all the way against the inside of the body it still would not seat in the roller. And the roller on the bottom was clearly not at a right angle with the focus rail. The only way to re-seat it was to place the shim under it the make it square. I used a snip of Tri X film. Then, only after I bent the bottom tip of the arm did it seat. It was just way, way off from the beginning. There were no signs at all that anyone had ever tinkered with it. The good thing is that it now works like a new camera and is as if new..so I am very pleased. It is a late model from 1968 or thereabouts. No I must decide which lens...a Kodak 105 3.7 Ektar with rebuilt shutter or a Linhof select 105 3.5 Xenar, also with new shutter. Thank you for your interest and contribution..Robbie Bedell
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Karalt on a Miniature Speed would not operate properly. A prism was used where yours has a movable mirror. The prism frame was not square and one of the alignment screws was overtightned beyond design limit to compensate.
On the inside of the case was 12/16/1940. That was a Monday, must have been some party over the weekend.

Misassembly in 1968 very likely as Graflex was changing hands, unknown what Kalart's status was at the time but rangefinders were all but obsolete.
Sometimes a klutz puts things together leaving parts out and no indication they were ever in there. TriX is .007 inch thick. If the eccentric was not square to its mount it had has been bent by a klutz.

Last edited by 45PSS on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Charles, Miniature Speed Graphics were offered with Kalarts. Did you mean Hugo Meyer?
Robadore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
A Karalt on a Miniature Speed would not operate properly. A prism was used where yours has a movable mirror. The prism frame was not square and one of the alignment screws was overtightned beyond design limit to compensate.
On the inside of the case was 12/18/1940. That was a Monday, must have been some party over the weekend.

Misassembly in 1968 very likely as Graflex was changing hands, unknown what Kalart's status was at the time but rangefinders were all but obsolete.
Sometimes a klutz puts things together leaving parts out and no indication they were ever in there. TriX is .007 inch thick. If the eccentric was not square to its mount it had has been bent by a klutz.

Exactly. The Klutz did not bend the eccentric squarely. I was not about to try to bend square it as the threads would no longer have seated. The piece of Tri X I used was from a 35mm film. I think thicker than 120.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But Charles, Miniature Speed Graphics were offered with Kalarts. Did you mean Hugo Meyer?

Miniature Speed 260482 with Kalart side rangefinder, Type F
https://www.flickr.com/gp/thirteenthumbs/2012x3

Quote:
The piece of Tri X I used was from a 35mm film. I think thicker than 120.

I used the 4x5 sheet film measurement, 120 is .0045 inch thick, TriX Pan in 135 format is .0055 inch thick.
Robadore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not thought of a piece of 4x5. That may have worked even better. But all is well now. I got the rangefinder all set today and it all seems 'dead nuts'. It's a great camera. I am starting out with the 105 Ektar. I will play with that for a while and then try the Xenar. I have a 100mm Symmar convertible on my first Century. I am juggling too many cameras! Thank you everyone! Robbie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: