Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polaroid Back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r_desrosiers

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking that a Polaroid back would be a valuble tool for studio / indoor work.So far looking on Ebay I've found about 3-4 different types. From information found on this site, Calumet and Polaroid, seems that the 545 and 545i are the prefered backs. These are the more expensive ones also! Ive also found a model 500 and by what is pictured, seems to be a back manufactured by Graflex for Polaroid. Are these two later mentioned of any use? I thought I read somewhere the model 500 is obsolete, does this mean that newer film will not work in it?
Baker

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a 545.

The Polaroid 500 back doesn't have the catch at the top to keep you from pulling the envelope all the way out while taking your picture. If that happens, it won't go back in. It can still be used if you're careful.

The Graflex Polaroid back is very obsolete. And huge. No film for it anymore, AFAIK.

The only difference between the 545 and the 545i is that the 545i is a newer version made mostly of plastic (higher profit margin for Polaroid), and the 545 no-i is older and made of metal. Polaroid says the original 545 is old and worn-out, but that's just BS to get you to buy a 545i and give them more money.
crbrelativity

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same question a couple of months ago. By the time you get a 545 or 545 off e-bay you pay about $100. B&H photo sells a new 545i for $145. I decided to go with the 545 Pro $189 new from B&H photo and I am glad I did. This model times the development for you and automatically makes the tempature adjustments that are critical for accurate work.

dkt

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both a 545 and a 545i...although they both work the same, and the old one is made of metal...the newer models can be taken apoart rather easily in case you get a metal clip stuck down in them...which can happen....on an older model, it's a real pain to fix this. It's up to you which model you pick, but you don't really need that timer and all that fancy stuff on the latest model, but I have been using a 545i for years, and it has taken many an unfortunate fall on the studio floor & is just as rugged as the 545. I have had to take a 545 apart & it took me the better part of a day....a 545i comes apart in like 30 seconds.
Les

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it isn't THAT bad. I've saved many photographer's but by field stripping a 545 when they put the film in backwards.

The trick is a paper clip or as SK Grimes shows a creditcard and some rubber bands to hold that part in the right place.

with either model you need to keep the rollers clean. Processing gell can build up and create uneven impressions. A wet paper towel works wellin the studio, but even more effective inthe field is spit. Always available (unless your shooting in Desert Palms in July) cheap and safe when used as directed.
r_desrosiers

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thank you all for your replies, this site is unreal, not only does one get a quick response, their intellegent!

r_desroisers
Kim

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prolly shouldnt admit this...and i will prolly gets lots of finger wagging
But I always just yank the thing out with a pair of pliers. I have done this many times and the back shows no ill effects...although it is the 545 all metal back.

On a side note I cobbled up a little leaf spring extender for the back springs on the standard graphic back that allows it to take a 600 series back. They still retain enough tension to hold a cut film holder without light leaks.

good luck

Kim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: