Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't use cable release on Ektar w/ Supermatic shutter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miket-nyc

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Can't use cable release on Ektar w/ Supermatic shutter? Reply with quote

I just bought a 2 1/4 x 2/3/4 Pacemaker Speed Graphic with a Graflok back and a 101/4.7 Ektar in a Supermatic shutter. The rangefinder needs work, but otherwise I'm quite pleased with it.

But then I tried to use a cable release and discovered there was no place to screw it in. Some detective work revealed that the cable release socket had been closed with a screw (and not a random screw -- one designed for this purpose). This seemed rather odd, but I took the screw out.

Then tonight I figured out why they put the screw in: it's impossible to use a cable release with this camera and lens combination, because the trip mechanism for the body release obstructs any access to the cable release socket. And it came that way from the factory, because there's a depression in the lens board designed to accept a pin on the back of the shutter, and if you don't put the lens on the lens board that way, the body release won't work.

This seems like a totally daft way to design a camera -- you have to give up ever using a cable release if you want to have a body release?? Are all Pacemakers with the Ektar lens this way? I guess I could put the lens on the camera upside-down when I want to use a cable release, but that seems rather stupid also. Is there a workaround to the problem that I'm not noticing?
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But then I tried to use a cable release and discovered there was no place to screw it in. Some detective work revealed that the cable release socket had been closed with a screw (and not a random screw -- one designed for this purpose)

I always thought the screw was to prevent debris getting into the shutter when a cable release was not in use.
Quote:
Then tonight I figured out why they put the screw in: it's impossible to use a cable release with this camera and lens combination, because the trip mechanism for the body release obstructs any access to the cable release socket.

They make L adapters for cable release, perhaps one will allow a cable release to be used without side release interference. Several on ebay at price gouger prices. Some vintage cable releases have a short screw tip that may fit if you can find one.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109446-REG/Kaiser_206148_Cable_Release_Adapter_L.html?sts=pi
Quote:
And it came that way from the factory, because there's a depression in the lens board designed to accept a pin on the back of the shutter, and if you don't put the lens on the lens board that way, the body release won't work.
That pin is usually a screw that can be removed. The pin ensures that the shutter release is clocked at the 9 o'clock position. All shutters used them at one point in time.
Quote:
This seems like a totally daft way to design a camera -- you have to give up ever using a cable release if you want to have a body release??
Its an either or condition. Welcome to the oddities of press cameras.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: