Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Pacemaker lens boards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miket-nyc

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Pacemaker lens boards? Reply with quote

As I've talked about trying to adapt lenses to my Miniature Speed Graphic, several people here have suggested that I should buy a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Pacemaker if I want the benefits of folding infinity stops, front movement, dropped beds, etc. So now I'm doing that, but this raises another question. Where do you find 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Pacemaker lens boards?

4x5 Pacemaker lens boards seem to come up on eBay sometimes, but I have never seen one for a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Pacemaker. Also, I do wood and metalworking and I've made lens boards for Anniversaries before (and just bought Delrin to make some for my Mini). But Pacemaker lens boards seem to be made of sheet metal with the edge bent down, apparently to form a light trap. Does somebody sell them or is it possible to make them yourself?
William Hallett

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have milled one Pacemaker lensboard out of solid aluminium. However, there is an easier way. The lip is not essential, and I have made a couple of successful 4 x 5 Pacemaker boards in the same form as an Anniversary or Mini board: a 1/8" front layer, with a smaller 1/8" layer behind to fill the opening in the standard. (Not sure about the exact thicknesses - I do not have my boards on hand as I write.) This second layer is your light trap. The edges need to be chamfered so that the slide locks will slip over them.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.etsy.com/listing/456854570/graflex-century-baby-graphic-2x3-2-14-x?ref=shop_home_active_28

I have two of his boards. They fit well, do what they're supposed to do. I don't like the shiny fronts but they're harmless.
miket-nyc

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm wrote:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/456854570/graflex-century-baby-graphic-2x3-2-14-x?ref=shop_home_active_28

I have two of his boards. They fit well, do what they're supposed to do. I don't like the shiny fronts but they're harmless.

Thank you for both of these posts! I may try milling some myself out of Delrin sometime (because I bought a square foot of the stuff and I definitely don't need that many Miniature Speed Graphic lensboards!)

But knowing I can buy one brand new for $15 bucks is too tempting, so for the time being I'm just going to order some. To get rid of the shiny front, I can just spray paint before using.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used plywood and black acrylic for 4x5 Pacemaker lens boards, both 1/4 inch thick.
I cut the size of the opening, round the corners so that it will sit into the opening, mark the bellows throat from the inside, mill down the outside edges until the board will just sit into the standard and allow the board retainers to close, and drill the shutter mount hole.
4x5 Pacemaker and Super Graphic front standard opening is not square. Measure the 2x3 opening before any material cutting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: