Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5x7 Press Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthurwg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: 5x7 Press Help Reply with quote

Howdy,

I have a nice 5x7 Press camera that was working when I put it on the shelf years ago. I'd like to start using it again but I don't think it works exactly like the other SLRs. Does anyone have a copy of this manual that they could send me? Also, which film holders do I need?

Thanks, Arthur
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ If you find the downloads useful please send in $3 per download since that website is run on a non profit volunteer basis and other websites charge a lot of money for the same downloads.
Arthurwg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did look at that website. Lots of Graflex but not the 5x7 Press.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, which film holders do I need?

5x7 Graflex, they have a slot on the sides and a groove near the darkslide end.
Arthurwg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has a spring back. Don't think it takes slotted film holders. Anyway, I think I'll have to send it somewhere to get it working correctly. Everything is very stiff.
loujon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthurwg wrote:
Mine has a spring back. Don't think it takes slotted film holders. Anyway, I think I'll have to send it somewhere to get it working correctly. Everything is very stiff.

My 5x7 Press Graflex (# 12404) which has not been changed from the original has a spring back but still takes slotted Graflex holders. The light rib is on the Graflex camera as a slim piece of metal on the insertion side and it slides into the light trap slot in the Graflex holders.

Now my5x7 Home Portrait takes modern 5x7 holders as it was changed by Fred Lustings when he rehabbed the camera w/ a new focus hood, bellows and a new modern 5x7 spring back (Deardorff) then re-calibration of focus screen. Both great cameras.

BTW- Hey Art did we meet and hang out/shot at one of Eddie Gunks LF photography gatherings back when Eddie was still into photography?
Arthurwg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Loujon,

Well, I have maybe 10 slotted 5x7 holders, so that would be good. I'll look again and try to figure this out, although I don't see what part of the camera would fit into the slots like the Graphic backs. Seems like they made this rather confusing. And no, I didn't meet you at Eddie Gunks but I did sell some fancy lenses to Eddie a while back.
loujon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthurwg wrote:
Hey Loujon,

Well, I have maybe 10 slotted 5x7 holders, so that would be good. I'll look again and try to figure this out, although I don't see what part of the camera would fit into the slots like the Graphic backs. Seems like they made this rather confusing. And no, I didn't meet you at Eddie Gunks but I did sell some fancy lenses to Eddie a while back.

Hey Art

Yea I remember Eddie picking up a few nice lenses from you & man that seems like ages ago & it probably was. I hope your doing well and glad to hear your digging your Graflexs out of the mothballs.

The main difference between the Graphic spring back & the Press Graflex 5x7 spring back are the holders. The Graphic spring backs takes Graphic holders that have a bump/rib at the dark slide end of the holder that slides into a slot cut in the Graphic spring back.
While the Press Graflex spring back takes 5x7 Graflex holders that have a slot cut at the dark slide end and the Press spring back has a light trap(a thin piece of leather covered brass) bump/rib built in the back/camera body. The Press Graflex 5x7 spring back has NO sliders at all.

Hope you have fun shooting and stay safe!
Peace
LouisP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: