Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice with Ebay listing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smitty920

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Advice with Ebay listing Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking to try out large format photography. I certainly cannot think of any other to way to start off other then to buy a Graflex Speed or Crown Graphic. I did find one listing on Ebay last night that seemed promising. However, the seller did not state what kind of film the camera accepts. I have noticed there are quite a few listings for 3x4 cameras. I asked the seller regarding this and he is not sure. Is there anyway to tell if the camera takes the 4x5 film?

This is the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/122843130911?ul_noapp=true

He also sent me a picture of the film holders. Is this a 4x5?

shutterfinger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To determine the format one measures the ground glass.
The 127mm Ektar was made in 1945, date coding of the lens serial number.

Last edited by shutterfinger on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
peter k

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dug out my 1946 Speed and it looks identical, to the shots shown on the ebay listing.
But do as shutterfinger posted, and have the seller give you a measurement of the ground glass to verify. Not the film holders.

We use our 3x4 frequently, and cut our own film down from 4x5, within a dark bag.. no big deal.
I also have a 4x5 Speed, but the 3x4 is easier to shoot hand held and rarely goes on a tripod. The 4x5 always uses the tripod and generally does not go into the out back very far, as there is much more to carry.
IanG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gut feeling is it's not a 5x4 Speed Graphic it's quarter plate.

First the lens looks to fill the lens board a 127mm Ektar won't on a pre or Anniversary Speed Graphic, and the 5x4 front standards don't have a bottom slider either. Plus the 127mm Ektar was the standard lens for the quarter plate Speeds.

Also the Anniversary 5x4 front standards overhang the focus rail more on either side.

So double check with the seller, it looks a touch small in the photo where he's handling it.

Ian
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 3 1/4"x4 1/4" for a short time and I had problems getting film and development tanks. You would be wise to insist on on 4"x5" cameras.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: