Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I mount my Graflite onto my Speed Graphic?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnny5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: How do I mount my Graflite onto my Speed Graphic? Reply with quote

I purchased a Graflite to complete my Speed Graphic from the 50s (I think it's from the 50s, I am collecting all the parts for it) but it will not attach to the side of the rangefinder! The Graflite has 2 clamps, but there is no place to attach it on my camera because the rangefinder has some kind of slide (I don't know what to call it) to lock the flash in place! Is this for something else? Does this mean I can't attach a flash to it?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it's from the 50s,

What is the serial number? It is either on a plate riveted to the bed (Pacemaker) or ink stamped on the botton of the camera top, handle side (Anniversary and earlier).

Quote:
The Graflite has 2 clamps, but there is no place to attach it on my camera because the rangefinder has some kind of slide (I don't know what to call it) to lock the flash in place! Is this for something else? Does this mean I can't attach a flash to it?

The slide you describe is for a Graflex Flash aka Scoot Lie Talker toy for the Scar Where fans. (Luke Sky Walker/Star ****)
You need a mount bracket described on manual page 6 of the Graflite instruction manual http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GrafliteManual.pdf

I checked ebay before making this post but did not see any.
johnny5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial number is 821297. So I would have to purchase a new mount plate? The flash mount you described on the side of my rangefinder does not appear to come off, I think it is welded in, so even if I were to find and purchase one, how would I replace it?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the bracket have ends that turn 90° outward with a slot in each?
If so adjust the clamps so that they align with the slots in the bracket, the bottom clamp sits into the slot in the lower bracket and the top snaps into the top bracket lug, press the button on the top bracket and pull out to release. The strap handle can be removed and the lugs will fit the clamps on the Graflite.

There is a bracket that encircles the side rangefinder that the bracket can be mounted to.

Being your camers is 1948 vintage Pacemaker Speed it likely has the Graflite bracket mounted onto the rangefinder housing.

To post a picture here upload it to a image hosting site of your choice then link to the photo or embed it in the post using BB code.

Current ebay listings, Graflex Synchronizer mount bracket on rangefinder
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-Pacemaker-2-x-3-Crown-Graphic-Kalart-Rangefinder-6-cm-x-9-cm-/152594705899?hash=item23875a6deb:g:iL0AAOSw44BYHP5S
Graflite Synchronizer on rangefinder bracket
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-23-Crown-Graphic-2-25x3-25-Large-Format-Press-View-Camera-106-/142430560947?hash=item212985e2b3:g:rd8AAOSwHLNZVYCu

Same brackets used for all formats.
johnny5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Current ebay listings, Graflex Synchronizer mount bracket on rangefinder
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-Pacemaker-2-x-3-Crown-Graphic-Kalart-Rangefinder-6-cm-x-9-cm-/152594705899?hash=item23875a6deb:g:iL0AAOSw44BYHP5S
Graflite Synchronizer on rangefinder bracket
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-23-Crown-Graphic-2-25x3-25-Large-Format-Press-View-Camera-106-/142430560947?hash=item212985e2b3:g:rd8AAOSwHLNZVYCu

The camera in the first link is mine. The second link is not my camera, my rangefinder does not have those brackets so I cannot attach the flash.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a Graflex Synchronizer bracket attached to the rangefinder housing. Look for a Graphlite bracket then swap them out.
The rangefinder housing is easy to remove, two screws at the top of the rangefinder and two at the bottom then it slides straight out, just as easy to reinstall. I think the bracket is riveted to the housing with blind rivets.
johnny5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay.

The rangefinder itself comes off but you are right, the bracket is riveted into it. I will have to find a new rangefinder cover, I have not seen any on eBay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: