Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mendelsohn Speedgun flash for Anniversary Speed Graphic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkilgo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Mendelsohn Speedgun flash for Anniversary Speed Graphic Reply with quote

I have an Anniversary Speed Graphic that came with a Mendolsohn Speedgun flash with synchronizer solenoid. I had the camera serviced recently so the leaf shutter is operating correctly. I just did a test using the flash and everything appears to be working correctly mechanically. The flash can be triggered with the button on the flash and the solenoid activates the shutter. The two frames I shot using #5 bulbs had a distinct line where the flash exposure appears more pronounced...mostly on the top third of the negative. What I don't know is does this indicate that the solenoid is not adjusted correctly or if the reflector isn't dispersing the light correctly...or something else I'm not considering. The solenoid has an adjustment screw on top and a scale that ranges from slow to fast. If the issue is an adjustment problem then how can I determine whether to slow down or speed up the solenoid? Thanks in advance. Jeff

[/img]
hsandler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were using the leaf shutter, not focal plane, a lack of uniform flash is not due to the shutter timing. The entire film sees the shutter opening the same amount. A band of higher exposure might be the flash reflector casting a pattern or non uniform development or scanning. The reflector height is adjustable on some units, and it might conceivably vary the exposure pattern vertically if it’s off for the size and position of bulb inserted. It’s also possible someone put a reflector for a different brand on a Mendelsohn. Some are interchangeable mechanically.

Congratulations on getting the solenoid right; I understand they are tricky to adjust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: