Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lens mounting on a mini-speed (6X9)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmccl@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Lens mounting on a mini-speed (6X9) Reply with quote

I have a mini-speed with a 101mm Ektar lens. I am interested in putting on a lens like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272502200939?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There is no mounting board shown, where would it go? Does the lens unscrew in the middle to attach the mounting board? Is it possible to put a lens like this on a mini-speed? How?

Thanks for the advice.

Jim
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is a rebadged 270 Rodenstock Rotelar. I have one. It can't be mounted on a 2x3 Graphic in the usual way. Its rear cell is too large to pass through the front standard's throat. And it is too large to be wrestled through the back of the camera.

You say you have a "mini-speed." Do you have a Miniature Speed Graphic, a 2x3 Pacemaker Graphic (Crown, Speed) or a Century?

LF lenses in shutter are put on lens boards to mount on cameras. The rear cell and shutter's retaining ring are removed, the back of the shutter then goes through a hole (has to be the right size) in the lens board, the retaining ring goes back to clamp the shutter to the board and then the rear cell goes back in. And then the lens in shutter is ready to be put on a camera.

The longest lens specifically offered for 2x3 Graphics was the 10"/5.6 TeleOptar/TeleRaptar. I've had one. Its rear cell will pass through a 2x3 Graphic's front standard.

The longest lens that's a comfortable fit on a 2x3 Speed Graphic is an aerial camera lens, the 12"/4 Taylor Taylor Hobson Telephoto as was made for Vinten F.95 and Williamson/AGI F.134 and F.139 cameras. I have one. It is a big fat lens, I had SKGrimes make a ring that goes through a board and screws into the back of the lens' barrel. One is on offer on eBay now, see http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-taylor-hobson-12-inch-f4-military-aerial-lens-Large-format-4x5-nikon-cooke-/182433245363

2x3 Graphics are useful little cameras but they have their limits.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shutter on that ebay listing needs a CLA so that will add approximately $100 to the overall price.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles, what's the point? The lens can't be used on a 2x3 Graphic.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the OP the only person reading this thread??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: