Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic Grafmatic 4x5 Film Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsraj1944

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Graphic Grafmatic 4x5 Film Holder Reply with quote

Hello, I am new comer to this site, but has been avid graflex camera fans. Recently I came across a holder that can hold up to 6 films. The holder seems to be new or never used. Do they really work? How does it work? No info available.
Thanks
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. rotate the wheel with numbers on it at the center of the label side of the grafmatic until 1 is showing.
2. press and hold the drawer lock (chrome lever adjacent to the handle) against the handle.
3. Pull the drawer out of the case until it stops. release drawer lock and pull the darkslide out from the drawer.
4. lift the septums out of the drawer being careful not to bend them.
5. In total darkness load each septum with a sheet of film emulsion side up.
6. Stack the septums with the cutout end aligned an sit into the drawer cutout end first then press down and push the darkslide in as far as it will go. The darkslide should slide easily over the septums. Slide the drawer into the case until the latch catches.
7. Cycle the grafmatic by pulling the darkslide out then pushing back in then pull the drawer assembly out and push back in. Repeat the procedure 6 times. The operations should be smooth each time.
8. turn the wheel at the edge of the grafmatic to lock the darkslide.
9. remove from total darkness and install on a camera when ready to use.

Use
1. securely mount on a camera.
2. turn the number wheel to 1 if it is not already there.
3. turn the darkslide lock and unlock the darkslide.
4. pull the darkslide out fully then push back in.
5. septum 1 should be in place and the red dot next to the number wheel should be exposed.
6. make the exposure.
7. press the drawer lock against the handle and hold. pull the drawer out fully then push it back in. the exposed sheet of film will drop to the back of the pack and the number wheel should turn to the next number.
8. repeat steps 3 through 7 for each exposure.
9. after making exposure 6, preform step 7 and the number wheel should move to X with the drawer lock against the handle preventing the darkslide from being pulled out by itself. To release the darkslide turn the number wheel to the next number.
Jim C.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsraj1944, Yes they do work very well, but you do have to get used to them, best to practice
with them without film till you get used to them.
There are manuals for them online if you do a Google search for Grafmatic film holders

Be careful of the septums ( the stamped aluminum film holder sheaths ) they do bend
very easily.
nsraj1944

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank to both of you. I found some old 4x5 exposed negatives. I practiced with them. I got the hang of it. I am going to load the holder this weekend. Should be OK. Thanks for the help
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy shooting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: