Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacemaker + Kodak Ektar Portrait Lens 305mm?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
peakbagger



Joined: 09 Oct 2014
Posts: 11
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Pacemaker + Kodak Ektar Portrait Lens 305mm? Reply with quote

I recently bought a collection of lenses that were sitting in someone's basement for $100. There were two 305 mm Kodak Ektar Portrait lenses - 4.8 and 4.5. They were both in Ilex #5 shutters. I don't
really know anything about these lenses. Will they work with my Pacemaker Speed Graphic? I'm assuming I'll have to conjure up a lens board of course...
Oh and the 4.8 looks like it is missing the front lens??? Maybe it's useless?

There is also a JML Super-Wide Process lens F/10 10.75" - seems kind of dark, will it also work with my kit?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dan Fromm



Joined: 14 May 2001
Posts: 2020
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the Portrait Ektars won't focus usefully closer than infinity on a 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic, maximum extension 12 3/4".

The f/4.5 Portrait Lens is a cemented doublet. Yours is complete.

Here http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_1.html is an instruction manual for the f/4.8.

You can learn more about the f/4.5 here: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_4.html

Yes, the JML will work with your kit. You may get into trouble if there's not enough light to shoot at 1/30, the Pacemaker Speed Graphic's slowest timed speed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
45PSS



Joined: 28 Sep 2001
Posts: 3671
Location: Mid Peninsula, Ca.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodak made a 12 f6.3 Commercial Ektar and a 12 inch f4.5 Portrait Ektar.
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_4.html
They also made a 14 inch portrait Ektar not listed in that catalog.

The 12 inch portrait that is complete is worth 3 to 4 times what you paid for the lot if it has no scratches and the shutter is working properly.

Basic math 1 inch = 25.4 millimeters. 12*25.4=304.8 .
A Pacemaker Speed Graphic has a 12 3/4 inch bellows draw so an 12 inch focal length lens will just focus to 25 to 30 feet. I do not remember if an Ilex #5 will mount on a Pacemaker lens board or not. An extension board can be made.
_________________
The best camera ever made is the one that YOU enjoy using and produces the image quality that satifies YOU.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peakbagger



Joined: 09 Oct 2014
Posts: 11
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Kodak made a 12 f6.3 Commercial Ektar and a 12 inch f4.5 Portrait Ektar.
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_4.html
They also made a 14 inch portrait Ektar not listed in that catalog.

The 12 inch portrait that is complete is worth 3 to 4 times what you paid for the lot if it has no scratches and the shutter is working properly.

Basic math 1 inch = 25.4 millimeters. 12*25.4=304.8 .
A Pacemaker Speed Graphic has a 12 3/4 inch bellows draw so an 12 inch focal length lens will just focus to 25 to 30 feet. I do not remember if an Ilex #5 will mount on a Pacemaker lens board or not. An extension board can be made.


Is it possible to build a three inch extension? How would one go about such a thing? I think that would bring me down to what, a 1.5 meter closest focusing distance?

I have a Graphic View II, I suppose I could use that. I was going to sell it to fund my recent acquisitions, but maybe I'll keep it instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
peakbagger



Joined: 09 Oct 2014
Posts: 11
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm wrote:
Sorry, the Portrait Ektars won't focus usefully closer than infinity on a 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic, maximum extension 12 3/4".

The f/4.5 Portrait Lens is a cemented doublet. Yours is complete.

Here http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_1.html is an instruction manual for the f/4.8.

You can learn more about the f/4.5 here: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_4.html

Yes, the JML will work with your kit. You may get into trouble if there's not enough light to shoot at 1/30, the Pacemaker Speed Graphic's slowest timed speed.


Thanks for the links to the manuals, that helps! I'm leaning on selling the JML, it's just too dark for me and I haven't seen many samples from that lens that jump out at me. Then again, everything I am doing in the LF world is geared towards doing wet plate on an 8x10 so, maybe I'll want to keep that lens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
45PSS



Joined: 28 Sep 2001
Posts: 3671
Location: Mid Peninsula, Ca.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it possible to build a three inch extension? How would one go about such a thing? I think that would bring me down to what, a 1.5 meter closest focusing distance?

I think that would be overkill and induce vignetting. Unless you plan on trying to do macro work with it a 3/8 to 1/2 inch extension should be adequate to focus to 6 to 8 feet.

Start by mounting the lens on your View II and focus it at infinity. Measure from the front surface of the ground glass to the front of the lens board. Next focus the lens on a target the closest distance to the camera you want to use. The infinity distance will be close to 12 inches. The speed has roughly 12 1/2 inches usable 12 3/4 fully stretched. Calculate the amount of extension needed.

Pacemaker lens boards can be made from a verity of materials including plywood and acrylic plastic. Start with a blank that will fit into the camera opening and can be secured with the lens board locks. Next cut the throat opening of the bellows. Allowing for the board locks build out from there. The lip does not have to be made if the lens board fit the opening well of if it recesses into the bellows throat.
_________________
The best camera ever made is the one that YOU enjoy using and produces the image quality that satifies YOU.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group