Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rangefinder?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter k

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is no misunderstanding on this end

Vellll, I'm glad someone understands....

The lens is an RC225.. 1951
Kodak Synchro-Rapid 800 Shutter
f32 ~ 4.5
800~B (no 'T')
Flash set on X

And yes, the handle will not work, although the correct length, as it attachment connection to the camera body is different.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I've heard of a Synchro Rapid being used on a Graphic.

That single rib roll film holder is an early version. It was reported here years ago that the single rib devices were prone to light leaks thus the addition of a second rib that fit over the outside edge of the camera back. There may have been film holders with one rib. Have the graflok sliders tight against the roll film holder when it is in use.
peter k

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First I've heard of a Synchro Rapid being used on a Graphic.

So what is/was it normally used on?
And why not on a Graphic?
Its a 101mm, so it should work on the 2x3, yes?

Ok.. here is more clarity for film holder...
There are three ribs..

1st right next to the film area, goes all the way across and fits into the grove on the back of the camera.

2nd Fits right next to the exterior edge of the camera,and is the narrowest and goes all the way across

3rd the widest and higher, and only goes the distance of width of the dark slide right on the edge of the film back next to the dark slide area.
This is the one that I referred to in the post.

Sorry for any confusion.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok.. here is more clarity for film holder...
There are three ribs..

Then its a normal roll film holder shell from Graflex Corp.

Some models of the Tourist line of cameras used the Synchro Rapid 800 shutter and there is a single post about one on this site from 2003. A Kodak Ektar lens catalog at cammera eccentric shows it in both the Synchromatic and Synchro 800 shutters. A 1949 Graflex catalog shows it in a Supermatic shutter for 2x3 Pacemaker Crown and Speed. It was less than a 101 Optar when new!
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html
So go shoot something with it and post the results on flickr or somewhere similar.
peter k

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh boy ... wanted a Ektar 101 and got one... its suppose to be a very good lens, but this particular one, this style may not be.. is this what your saying??

Yes the only way I will really find out is shoot it... sigh.. very busy right now. Was so disappointed with the baby speeds Graflex Optar W.a. f6.8, and checked out on the internet, and there were very positive things sated about the Ektar 101mm, but what your saying.. not necessarily this model?
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aint saying squat about the quality of images made with said lens. only stating what's printed in sales brochures and lens catalogs.

i've got a 101 optar on my miniature speed and spare lens cells in excellent condition from a dead Graphex #1 shutter. i need to go shoot it also. the lens were likely excellent off the assembly line but no clue what they're like today. should be fine.
peter k

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you.. you give me hope...

Now the challenge is getting the time, to shoot a roll,and then I will have to send it out to develop..
B&W Sheet film is so much easier in these situations, take a shot, go develop it.. done sometimes within a hour, but alas that's when I was at home.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use ISO400 for the test roll. It will show light leaks and exposure errors quickly. If it comes out good then there are no real problems with the camera.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter k wrote:
oh boy ... wanted a Ektar 101 and got one... its suppose to be a very good lens, but this particular one, this style may not be.. is this what your saying??

Yes the only way I will really find out is shoot it... sigh.. very busy right now. Was so disappointed with the baby speeds Graflex Optar W.a. f6.8, and checked out on the internet, and there were very positive things sated about the Ektar 101mm, but what your saying.. not necessarily this model?

The f6.8 Optar is a tricky lens to focus, but I've achieved excellent results with mine when all factors are optimum. The 101 Optar is not tricky to focus, and is an excellent working lens. I've been well pleased with it after taking several hundred images using it on the Century. In addition, I prefer the Graflex (Wollensak) shutter over Kodak's. Optar lenses in Graflex have always been my first choices; they are affordable (or were when I acquired them!) and reliable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: