Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart beamsplitter source?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watkinssr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Kalart beamsplitter source? Reply with quote

Have a crown graphic, side mount Kalart that is dim. Searches show everyone recommending Edmunds, which is now apparently Scientifics Direct and doesn't seem to carry the beamsplitter that was recommended anymore.

So anyone have another source?
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some on ebay.
watkinssr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a link? I checked ebay, but didn't find anything.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay just CRASHED!
when it comes back on line do a search for beamsplitter or beam splitter .
its back up!!
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC2.A0.H0.Xbeam+splitter.TRS0&_nkw=beam+splitter&_sacat=0
you want the 50/50 1.1mm thick stock. cut it to size with a glass cutter.
watkinssr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered.. Thanks!
William Hallett

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where people got the idea that Edmund no longer carries beamsplitter glass. The company is now called Edmund Optics (I believe the old Edmund Scientific split) and they have a wide range of beamsplitters at low cost. The one most useful for the Kalart would be the 18 x 30 mm plate x 2mm thick, and you want the 50R/50T (50% reflection/50% transmission) type. It's part number 31-414, cost $35- each. See Edmund's website at http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/beamsplitters/plate-beamsplitters/plate-beamsplitters/2035/ . I believe this is the same item that I bought a few years ago for fixing Kalarts, and it should provide enough pieces to repair 2-3 rangefinders after careful cutting.
William Hallett

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum to my previous note on beamsplitters: different plate sizes have different thicknesses, and there are 1.5 mm plates and 1.0 mm plates available as well. You have to hunt around through different sizes if you want a specific thickness. The stuff I bought some years ago was 1.5 mm, which is available in a 25 x 38 mm plate size for $42.50.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmund Optics has been around for some time. Edmund Scientific quit carrying the beamsplitters they had been carrying in the last year to year and a half. They were different than the ones Edmund Optics carries.
The ones I got off ebay were around $30.

Its easy to shim the thinner product to work on a rangefinder. The rangefinder will need to be calibrated once the new mirror is installed.
watkinssr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suggestions on shimming material?
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black card stock, construction paper or similar dark colored paper products. Card stock and construction paper are .013~.014 thick. Cut shims the width of the frame mount edge. Place shim(s) between the mirror and mount frame. On bottom mount only Kalart frames make sure to position the mirror 90° to the frame base. The new mirror face should be at the same position as the original. I use nonflammable contact cement to mount the mirror and shims. Any permanent glue that is easy to clean up excess should be good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: