Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Contact between body release lever and shutter arm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razor1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: No Contact between body release lever and shutter arm Reply with quote

Hi,
I recently purchased a Crown Graphic. Due to the original lens (a Xenar) being quite in bad shape, I swapped it with a Sinaron 135mm f5.6 in Copal 0 shutter. The only issue is that I cannot find a way to make the body release lever actuate the shutter arm. The problem is that the shutter arm tip (triangle shape) extends downwards, but it never comes into contact with the body release lever. I tried to place the lever between the housing of the release cable and the upper part of the shutter arm, but this of course causes the shutter arm to rest a little bit lower and it makes the shutter closure/opening lever very, very stiff. It seems that the Copal shutter expects the shutter arm to touch the cable release housing in order to operate properly.
I am thinking of bending the shutter arm tip towards the lens board, to create a contact surface when the body release lever moves down, but I fear I will break the arm or damage the shutter in some way. Has anybody had this problem before? How did you solve it?
Thanks,
Luca[/img]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotate the shutter on the board.
razor1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I did not think about that. I guess it shows that I'm coming from digital and this is my first experience with an analogue camera . Thanks for the suggestion Dan.
Luca
razor1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried rotating the shutter, but there is no way I can find a position where the lever is able to move the shutter arm down enough to actuate it....
I'll maybe try sticking a small piece of metal at the back of the shutter arm, facing towards the lens board, in order to create a contact surface with the body release lever....
Luca
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "paddle" is held to its bit of wire by a set screw. You can change the paddle's orientation and move it up/down the wire.

You may have the wrong paddle for your shutter. There were at least three lengths.

I've always seen the body release as an invention of the devil, have removed the cables etc. from my Graphics.
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a longer "paddle". You can make one with a brass strip, sheet metal cutters and some metal [self tapping] screws or drill holes and use machine screws.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One shutter I mounted for another member had to be clocked so the release lever was partially depressed to operate with the body release. The shutter would not operate on T but did operate on all speeds. If the release lever was depressed too far the shutter would not cock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: