Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex cable questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steved55

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Graflex cable questions Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new here and have a Crown Graphic 4x5. I've used it over the years with 4x5 b+w and color and with electronic flash. I also have a Graflex RH 10 and enjoy it too.

My 'go to' lens is a nice quality Schneider Xenar 1:4.7/135 coupled to a Synchro Compur-P shutter. This between the lens shutter has a 'X or M' selector lever. It also has a 'modern day' PC flash connector vs the bi-post connector.

This lens board also has a Graflex flash synchro mechanism.

I recently obtained a Three Cell Graflex Flash with 5 and 7 inch reflectors. I also have a bunch of 5, 5B (for color) and Mazda Press 40 as well as GE 11 bulbs.

I'm a little puzzled whether the synchro mechanism needs to be used if the shutter has the M setting? If not using the synchro mechanism, can I use the Paramount cord I have with Household to PC ends and hook the flash to the shutter directly?

Or is it required to get a new cord with the round female bi-post plug and use this end to connect to the flash unit. If so, what is the other end to be called if it is to be connected to the Graflex synchro unit?

Best outcome is to be able to hook directly PC cable end to lens shutter and household end to slots in the flash. Best outcome because I already have this cable.

thanks very much

Steve

Last edited by steved55 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Markus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Best outcome is to be able to hook directly PC cable end to lens shutter and household end to slots in the flash. Best outcome because I already have this cable.

Yes, just do that and set the shutter to M synchronization. When you trip the shutter, it will first trigger the flash and roughly 20ms later open the shutter blades to make the exposure. That gives the flashbulb the necessary time to light up.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Graflite instruction manual is available at http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GrafliteManual.pdf

The "Synchro mechanism" you refer to is most likely a Solenoid. The solenoid can be connected to the Graflite giving you electronic triping of the shutter.
steved55

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that manual. Lens board does have the solenoid.

Confused as noted by fact my shutter has M and X settings. Is such a solenoid really needed when the shutter apparently is designed for bulbs with the M setting?

What is downfall if directly connecting Graflite flash to PC connection on shutter? Why even bother with the Graflex solenoid operated shutter?

Steve
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Confused as noted by fact my shutter has M and X settings. Is such a solenoid really needed when the shutter apparently is designed for bulbs with the M setting?

X is for electronic flash, may be usable for type F flash bulbs. Type F flash bulbs take 5 milliseconds to reach peak output.
M is for type M flash bulbs. Type M flash bulbs require 15 to 17 milliseconds to reach peak output.
The solenoid can be adjusted to trip the shutter so that it is wide open when the flash bulb is at peak output.
The solenoid is not needed with a shutter that has X and M sync, it only offers more options.
If you remove the solenoid from the lens board be sure to patch the holes in the board.
steved55

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much 45PSS. I used the camera for many years with a Vivitar 283. Very good results.

But now I have the Graflite flash and the bulbs as noted in initial post. I didn't really have a handle on whether using the Solenoid was mandated when there was an M setting.

Sounds like even if I had the solenoid adjusted for the M setting, it wouldn't be useful for the other type of bulb (F) given the differing peak output settings and timing.

IAE, based on the info so far, connecting the flash directly to the PC connection on the shutter should work. I already have the Paramount cord with a PC end and a HouseHold two prong end. If I'm off base, LMK and thank you very much for your information.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: