Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini-Speed-Graphic === removing Kalart rangefinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmccl@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Mini-Speed-Graphic === removing Kalart rangefinder Reply with quote

I won't be using the rangefinder so I think I want to remove the accessory shoe bracket and the range finder. The bracket should be no big deal but I'm wondering if I might open a can of worms when I remove the screws that attach the Kalart to the body. What about the parts that are inside the box and is there some special tool needed to disengage them. If I need to disassemble the bellows, I'll just leave well enough alone. I will appreciate your input.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the RF in place. If you ever sell, the camera will be worth more with the RF than without it.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Dan. Were I in the market for a Graphic/Graflex, any without the Kalart would be a deal-breaker. I'm always somewhat amused (and dismayed) by the prices and values I see on uBuy for cameras without the Kalart. Especially for those who will do any hand-held work at all, the rangefinder is a must, IMO.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rangefinder actuator arm is attached to the rangefinder shaft with a 3/16 wrench size set screw. It will have to be loosened to remove the rangefinder. Once removed there will be 4 screw holes in the side of the body where the rangefinder was mounted and a 1/4 inch hole through the body where the rangefinder shaft goes. The actuator arm can be removed from the body once the rangefinder is removed without disconnecting the bellows from the rear of the body but it is much easier to work on the actuating arm once the bellows are removed. The bellows are attached to the body with 1/4 inch long nails, #18 or #20 gauge. New ones are no longer available and the existing ones have to be pulled out.

You won't notice the few ounces in weight reduction removing the rangefinder will provide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: