Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 8" (203mm) F/5.6 Optar on Century 23
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aoresteen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: The 8" (203mm) F/5.6 Optar on Century 23 Reply with quote

I have a Raptar 8" (203mm) f/5.6 that I want to use on my 2nd Century 23 body. Once set up I'd leave it on it permanently. I will be shooting 2.25" x 3.25" format on 120 roll film.

Can this lens be RF coupled to the Kalart Rangefinder? What issues will I run into? Any special parts needed to set it up?

Thanks!

WWW.oresteen.com
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, apparently not. See http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-manual.html , and scroll down to p. 8 of the instructions. Looks like the Kalart is limited to lenses around 100 mm focal length, give or take.

BTW, my Optar 203 is a really sharp optic. If your Raptar is, too, then you've got a good hunk of glass there. As you've probably already learned, you have to extend the Century's bellows all the way out to focus the 203 to infinity. The image on the gg is nice and bright, and presents no problem to focus with a loupe.

Last edited by Henry on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:31 am; edited 3 times in total
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kalart manual: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kalart_1.html
or
http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-manual.html

Kalart are adjustable from 101mm to 165mm.
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:

Kalart are adjustable from 101mm to 165mm.

Not for the Century 2x3, which is the camera Tony was asking about. The Kalart instructions say 101 to 105 mm.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, if not for the Century why for the Crown? More seriously, how does the RF know which camera it is attached to?
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, Dan. Guess it's too late to ask Kalart! I'm just going by what I read on p. 8 of the Instructions (see link), which lists the ranges by format, not camera model. Seems to me it's saying that the Kalart (there was more than one version, right?) will adjust for 101-105 on 2x3, regardless.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kalart rangefinder body is used on all 3 formats. The actuating arm length is different for each format.
The bellows extension when the maximum travel of the Kalart arm is reached is the limiting factor as to what focal length will be close focused at what distance.
Lens design will also factor in as a focal length that infinity focuses closer to the film plane than its focal length will have a good chance reaching the close focus distance by the end of the rf arm travel.
aoresteen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will the Crown Graphic 2x3 couple the Kalart RF to the 162mm (6 3/8") Optar lens? Or do the arms on the 2x3 limit it to 103mm or so lenses?

WWW.oresteen.com
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my reading of the Kalart instructions previously referenced, I believe the answers to your two questions are respectively "No" and "Yes." Disclaimer: I haven't tried to do what you propose.
Suggestions: Try it and see!
aoresteen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
Based on my reading of the Kalart instructions previously referenced, I believe the answers to your two questions are respectively "No" and "Yes." Disclaimer: I haven't tried to do what you propose.
Suggestions: Try it and see!

Thanks Henry. I would have to buy a 162mm lens and I already have one lens (the 203mm) that will not couple to the RF - I'd hate to have another .

What I'm trying to do is to get the longest lens that will RF Couple with a 2x3 Graflex. My current Crown 2x3 is being set up for a 101mm Ektar RF coupled. My 65mm is on a Century 2x3 with no RF. Ultimately I'll have 3 Graflex 2x3s: 65mm, 101mm, and an RF coupled tele 2x3.

WWW.oresteen.com
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, that's a lot to carry. Why not one body and three lenses on boards?
aoresteen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm wrote:
Tony, that's a lot to carry. Why not one body and three lenses on boards?

Good question. When I shoot 2x3 I haul everything with my van. When I stop I grab the one I think I'll need. 30 years ago I could have carried three of the 2x3s around my neck but no longer.

The wide angle I will walk around with by itself. And I will use it with the 203mm lens on a tripod.

Having separate bodies makes it easier for me to keep track of which lens was used with which roll of film.

I may combine the 65mm with the tele lens and just swap lenses. Depends on how things work out.

WWW.oresteen.com
78ltd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my 66/67 Graflex Catalog, it said the Kalart was for use with 80-150mm lenses on the Century Graphic, which was the only camera using it then.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See page 8 of this link for a different opinion: https://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-manual.html
MultiFormat Shooter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: 203mm with Kalart Reply with quote

78ltd wrote:
According to my 66/67 Graflex Catalog, it said the Kalart was for use with 80-150mm lenses on the Century Graphic, which was the only camera using it then.

If the bellows draw is 180 mm or less then it should work. Since the Raptar 203mm has 5" (127mm) of bellows draw, then I would think that it should work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: