Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart Rangefinder Attachment Century

View previous topic :: View next topic  
errickrb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Kalart Rangefinder Attachment Century Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I inherited my grandfather's Century Graphic about ten years ago, and have been using it ever since. At that time medium format's resolution and quality was a revelation to me as a child raised on 1 hour photo 35mm prints, and that Century Graphic started what I feel is a lifelong love affair with all things Graflex.

I'be been using the Century primarily for travel photography since then, and have started accumulating Kalart rangefinder parts for installation, I now have a pristine Kalart rangefinder, the version with the metal flange that goes around the corner of camera, and the medium format linkage arm which interacts with the metal thing that gets attached through that pair of drilled and threaded holes in the very rear of the focusing rails. Assuming all these parts are correct, I still cannot find that eccentric that attaches through those pairs of holes on the rail. I have called numerous businesses on the links provided on this website without any results, same with that great big marketplace on the internet.

Would anyone have any ideas on where I can locate a spare one of these eccentrics? I have been looking for that part for some time, and have so far been unsuccessful.

Is anyone aware of what has happened to all the spare parts Mr. Lustig accumulated since Mr. Lustig has passed away? I was thinking whoever picked up where he left off would be a good place to start, but I haven't found information relating to that and there was a request that we graphic operators don't bother the family with questions relating to the graflex.

Thanks, you guys have been a tremendous resource in the past.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kalart Rangefinder is an accessory not made by Graflex. The correct rangefinder will have a shaft that goes through the body and a coupling arm on the inside of the body.
Being the Century Graphic body is Mahognite, aka bakelite, the holes for rangefinder mounting are already there but may be covered by the leatherette on the exterior. The Century Graflex Service manual shows no rail eccentric for rangefinder coupling.
The best bet to get the coupling is to watch ebay for a set of rails with one attached.
http://www.graflex.org/manuals/23-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic.pdf shows the bracket in fig 6 index 4
The rails from a 2x3 Crown should fit the Century. The bracket from a 4x5 Crown of Speed may not work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: