Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wollensak Betax No.5 lens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmaselli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Wollensak Betax No.5 lens Reply with quote

I have a home portrait camera that I bought with a Wollensak Betax No 5 shutter. Printed on the barrel is Cooke Lens, H>D> Taylors ...Series 5, 8 x 10, Eq focus 13.3 inches. On the other side of the barrel it says--Taylor, Taylor and Hobson ... 20 inches. I haven't been able to find any information about this lens. Does anyone have some information??
Mike
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Cooke triplet designed by H. D. Taylor and made under license by Taylor, Taylor & Hobson. The TTH Taylors were not related to H. D. H. D. was an employee of T. Cooke & sons, a microscope manufacture that didn't want to commercialize his invention.

TTH identified their lenses by Series numbers. Ser. V should be f/8 or f/10. They made replacement rear cells for the lenses that changed the focal length. Your lens' focal length should be 20 inches.
mmaselli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks-- that s good information.
mmaselli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Rear Elements-- are they available? Reply with quote

I finally got to check my lens and it only consists of the front element.
The stops appear to have been hand scribe. All triplets I have seen have three rows of numbers indicating the focal length depending on which element(s) where attached. What would be the focal length of the lens with just the front element? Also-- any idea where I might find a rear element?
Thanks, MM
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea and no idea.
1banjo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Cooke lens Reply with quote

To find the focal length put the lens on your camera focus on an object 500 yards or more away set your infinity
Measure from about the center of the shutter to the film plane you now have your focal length lol give a millimeter or two
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: