Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash on insert? FRUSTRATION!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRichard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Flash on insert? FRUSTRATION! Reply with quote

Dear readers,

I have the Heiland 2 cell flash unit, with adapter for the smaller bulbs.
EVERY SINGLE TIME I put a bulb it it pops.

This is the first time I have had issues out of this unit.
It could be a cable problem. I've ordered a new one anyhow.
What else could it be.

When I have the unit on my speed graphic, with the Household to ASA 2-post, it only sometimes has an issue, and sometimes it doesn't even fire.
This is a problem that has developed in the very recent months.

When I try the Household to PC cable, it does it every single time.
Secondly, after a shutter fire, sometimes the flash will fire AFTER
I have released the shutter button! Talk about the frustration!

Please guide me with your thoughts. I would hate to have to try and
buy a new flash unit. Just thinking about those idiots and their movie props makes me want to commit illegal actions against their persons.

Cheers and best wishes.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have more than one shutter to connect the synchronizer to?
Does it act the same connected to any shutter?
Check the synchronizer sockets with a VOM.
JohnRichard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Do you have more than one shutter to connect the synchronizer to?
Does it act the same connected to any shutter?
Check the synchronizer sockets with a VOM.

I might have misunderstood you.
I don't have a synchronizer, if the thing I think you're talking about is the thing I am think of....

I have the 127mm flash supermatic. It works mostly well.
I attached it to a Yashica-a TLR with PC connection, doesn't work at all.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synchronizer is what the case that holds 2 or 3 D cell batteries, has sockets for the shutter and solenoid, and a socket for the flash bulb is called. Any catalog of the era will list them as synchronizer.

The Yashica should be X sync and fire the bulb as it would an electronic flash. Do you have an electronic flash to try on it? If so does it work properly? Some shutters short the flash contacts until the shutter is cocked.
It should not be the case with this camera.

The Flash Supermatic shutter should only make contact when the shutter reaches full open unless the delay is set and may not trigger a flash if the delay is not set. An electronic flash connected via a Bi Post adapter cable will verify if the shutter is working properly.

I know of no Heiland service manual.
There is no service manual for the Graflex synchronizer, the one cut up for props.
The Graflite Synchronizer, http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GrafliteManual.pdf for the user manual; http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GrafliteService.pdf for the service manual , is sometimes listed for the prop conversion by profiteers. The Heiland will be of similar construction to the Graflite. I suspect that the bulb socket is bad. It may be easier to find another synchronizer.
JohnRichard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH! Thanks for the enlightenment! After looking at the documents you provided, I was thinking of the solenoid.

So yes, the Yashica fires my electronic flash without problem.
I'll have to get a bipost cable for my electronic flash...

I'll check the voltages from the shutter on my 127mm, and I'll see if I can figure out what's happening with the synchronizer! internally.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Flash Supermatic flash contact assembly is as follows, shutter's bi post pins facing you:
Left post- insulated copper strip connected to post follows curvature of the shutter case and is attached to the shutter case approximately 120° clockwise from the post and insulated from the case, the mount screw forming an internal contact, curves inward and the bare end contacts a shutter blade controller post when the shutter blades have reached full open anytime the shutter is operated.

Right post- insulated copper strip follows curvature of the shutter case laying next to the left post copper strip. Approximately 60° clockwise from the post is a 10K ohm resistor from this copper strip to the shutter case with a contact at the end of the copper strip over the left post's copper strip case mount screw.

The mechanical flash delay mechanism prevents the contacts from the bi posts from making if the delay is not set. The resistor can be bypassed with a piece of wire making the shutter X sync without the delay mechanism being set.

The insulator on the left copper strip mount to the case may be failing. The nut is covered by black epoxy, the insulator between the screw, case and nut.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: