Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On 3 cell graflite

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Massimo M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: On 3 cell graflite Reply with quote

I have a 3 cell Graflite incoming, in the picture I observed a Press 40 box with.
Press 40 bulbs or equivalent are so expensive.
I read about adapters to, for example, Press 25 or similar.
Mi question is: So I'm not a flash lover but a Speed graphic without its flash hasn't the same feel...so what means the use of these different bulbs? A loss of light power? in this case is it recoverable changing shutter aperture&time?

thanks

Massimo
Markus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you found the flash info on this site:
http://www.graflex.org/flash/technical.html

A Press 40 puts out lots of light. Probably more than you need most of the time. I was able to take a group shot of about 20 kids in a large hall with the camera set to about 1/100, f/22, iso 400, 90mm lens.

If you get an adapter to put a Press 25 in your 7" reflector, that should still be plenty of light (shouldn't be much more than 1 stop of light loss). Just adjust down the aperture or exposure time.

Or get a 5" reflector for your Graflite if you don't want to light wide-angle shots.
Massimo M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, yes, I used the flasbulbs reference you shown me.
I'm happy to know that press 25 is enough for an average use, I think that the film speed can compensate the flash loss.
Massimo M

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever on this flash (catalog Graflex 2773), anyone knows how access to the batteries?
As I see there is a black plastic cap in the bottom of the cylindric steel support, unfortunately it is so hard, then I think the three (A?) batteries are in and the acid drawn...
It is a screw? a lock in cap?
Thank Sirs for any help!!!!

Massimo
Markus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black cap at the bottom simply screws off. It seems like a pretty sturdy design, you can probably apply some force to unscrew...

There is a very strong spring integrated in the cap that presses against the stack of batteries. That could potentially be stuck to a corroded battery.
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press 25 and number 5 bulbs are the same bulb by two different manufacturers, GE and Sylvannia. Both are good for the Speed and Crown Graphics. Both are available in blue bulbs for color photographs.

The number 40 bulbs as well as the number 2 bulb are brighter and more expensive. They may be overkill for most work with ISO 100 and 400 speed films.
Massimo M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I'm supplying these bulbs.

I unscrewed the bottom cap of the flashlite, a hard work culminate with the boiling of the part in water, and 3 1950s Ray-o-vac batteries come into view.
Massimo M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another little item found.
Is possible being a flash adapter, but what?

The bottom is an Edison screw who matches exactly with the 7" reflector bulb holder.

On top there is another very small screw who hosts a small lamp or bulb, all protected by a metal square ring welded on the adapter to make a limit at the dimension of the bulb hosted.

What is?

bye

Massimo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: