Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash sync and solenoid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gyron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Flash sync and solenoid Reply with quote

For a few years now I've been using a Crown Graphic with a modern X sync shutter with flash bulbs. Because this shutter doesn't have M sync, I use the bulbs at (eg) 1/15 shutter speed.

I'm currently thinking about buying a second Graflex, this one has an older Graphex shutter (M, F, X) with a solenoid. It seems to me that this would be better suited to using flash bulbs than my current camera.

When using flash bulbs, am I right in thinking that the solenoid is needed only when the shutter doesn't support M sync, so on this particular camera I won't need the solenoid? Or should I set the shutter to X and use the solenoid? And how do I enable/disable the solenoid?

So many questions, sorry about that!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which flash synchronizer do you have? A Graflite?
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GrafliteManual.pdf

A solenoid is used when A. the shutter has no flash sync, B. you want to trip the shutter remotely with the flash synchronizer.

The solenoid only operates when connected to the flash synchronizer.
gyron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My flash unit is a Graflex "No. 2773" 3-cell flash with 5 inch reflector.

However, it turns out the camera that I was going to buy isn't going to be mine after all, we couldn't come to an agreement on price. So now I'm back to hunting for a second Crown or Speed 4x5 that is "bulb friendly".

Thanks for the info about the Solenoid, I had suspected that it was something like that but never having used that set up I wasn't sure. Time for me to do some more reading!
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solenoids show up on ebay regularly. You could easily add one to your existing setup. Make sure the solenoid is complete with the strait bracket, screws and nuts to connect the bracket to the lens board, and link to attach the solenoid to the shutter trip lever.

This post will help in setting it up.
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?topic=1453&forum=7

addition reading on this site http://graflex.org/flash/
gyron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browsing through eBay, I notice that several Crowns have a both a solenoid as well as a Graphex shutter which supports M, F and X. Wouldn't that be redundant, or am I misunderstanding things?

I would have thought that the solenoid would only be needed if the shutter only had X sync. So on a camera which has both, would you still use the solenoid?

Thanks for putting up with my questions
shutterfinger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With both a full sync shutter and a solenoid one has the choice of which to use depending on their style and the environment they're in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: