Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Karalt Type F rangefinder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Karalt Type F rangefinder Reply with quote

The link will below get you the private album on my Flickr account. The photos are pretty much self explanatory. The main lever when held at the infinity, fully against the wall, the distance from the adjuster slider on the outside of the housing to the inside edge of the main lever should be .381 ± a thousandth or two, photo G1. There is an angled slot in the main lever with a small set screw with two opposing flats, adjust the set screw as needed to get the correct distance. A turn of 30° gives a .015 change in the reading. The Mini's arm was off .010 and there is obvious flattening of the post from maladjustment. Notice the pin on Kalart #2 is bent slightly. Most likely cause is maladjusted operating arm when mounted on the camera.

The Kalart off the Miniature is A through S, the one from a 4x5 is A1 through G1. Photo L is as found when first separated, which corresponds to the camera's serial number date. It may explain the broken, jammed set screw and the mirror block to operating arm, photos R and S being out of square.

All 4 set screws are used to position the mirror block on the pivot pin and affect image alignment.

The Link:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/thirteenthumbs/15yZH4/

What I found and did.
1. the mirror mount block was higher on one side, filed it down so that both sides were equal.
2. purchased a few #3-48 x 1/4 set screws from Bolt Depot.
3. Ground down the cup end with a Dremel and cutting wheel so that it has a pointed tip like an original.
4. Mirror block mounts to the operator arm at a 85° to 87° angle.
5. With mirror held in the infinity position, lateral eccentric center of its adjustment range set the 4 set screws that hold the mirror block to its pivot shaft were tightened so that the rangefinder image was in coincidence.

See: http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6693
RSalles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for this useful post, I was searching like a mad for a detailed maintenance tips for this type of rangefinder, as the early one fitted with the Miniature Speed Graphic. I'm confident I'm ready to go now!,

Cheers,

Renato
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: