Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filter Sizing for 135mm Optar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donjacob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Filter Sizing for 135mm Optar Reply with quote

Have come into a 4 X 5 Burke & James equipped with nice 135 mm Optar (f4.7) one website puts filter at 38mm threaded or 1.5 Inch slip on. Is that for Series VI filters? Also, is that a Gel filter adapter available? Thanks for the assist as I try to go junior Ansel Adams.

donjacob
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct: 38mm/1.5 inch slip-on for the 135/f4.7, series VI. Don't know about gel filter adapter.
donjacob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Optar Filter Size Reply with quote

Thanks fir your confirmation...now to locate the filters...
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought most of my series VI filters at camera shows over the years, but these aren't what they used to be, at least in my area. A few I bought from retired photographers disposing of their equipment. I managed to get a fairly complete set of B/W contrast filters, plus UV and polarizing, close-up and tele- sets, and some color correction ones, too. I also have the series VI slip rings for each of my lenses, and lens hoods.

These items come up from time to time on the auction site, and if camera shows are still held where you live then try those, too. Good luck!
donjacob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Series VI filters Reply with quote

I a m prowling around Ebay...not many camera shows around here anymore. But the quest and the journey is a lot of the fun!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a hundred or so years ago I found a 3 inch square filter holder with 6 filter sheaths on ebay. It take 2 sheaths to fit snugly in the frame. It has Tiffen Series 8 on the lens ring with three 6-32 screws to secure it to the lens. A Cokin adapter can be used also with some stepping rings to adapt to a series 6 filter ring, http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=1727&highlight=series+filter . I have purchased series holders 1-2 mm larger than the the one I needed and bonded felt to the inside so they would fit the lens snugly as the size I needed was nowhere to be found.
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another approach is to acquire (somehow, somewhere) an adapter ring(s), i.e., a step-ring, that converts the 44mm series VI thread to a 49, 52, or 55mm thread. This opens up a range of possibilities to use these 35mm camera accessory thread sizes with filters that you may already own, or accessories that will be easier to find than straight series VI stuff. Again, I bought such adapter rings at camera shows some years ago. It's something to keep in mind, perhaps.

Last edited by Henry on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim C.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Series adapter rings and filters seem to show up randomly
or sometimes not at all on eBay, I managed to get a huge set of Series 9 filters adapters and sets of Series 7 recently.
You just have to keep looking.
donjacob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: 38mm Series VI threaded too big for Optar 135 Reply with quote

Well, seems 38mm Series VI adapters don't work. Got a 1-1/2" slip on...too small--even spreading the tabs. Got an Ednalite 38mm. It is the exact same size as the outer lens ring...

So is it 37.5 mm? I have been losing freight money shipping these things back.
HELP???
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if 38mm doesn't fit/too small, then 37.5mm surely won't!

I re-examined my Optar f4.7/135mm and the 38mm/1.5in. series VI slip ring is an exact fit for my lens. If your Optar is "threaded," as you said in your initial post, then it's different from mine. None of my Optar lenses (68, 101, 135, 203) have threads on the front element (except for the shutter mounting threads). If your front element has any external threads, then we are talking about different things here!

Is there something I'm not grasping about this?
rwl7532

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found all my Series IV stuff from one Ebay source:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Lenses-Filters-/78997/m.html?item=121595340518&_ssn=octsurprise

Good luck.

• Accident free since 10/27/12 at 3:58 pm.
  • Cursing free since 10/27/12 at 3:59 pm.
  • ...it happened in Everett, WA USA
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further help (or confuse?) matters, Kodak made series VI slip rings in these sizes (in inches/fractions): 1-1/4, 1-5/16, 1-3/8, 1-13/32, 1-7/16, 1-15/32, 1-1/2, 1-9/16, 1-5/8, 1-21/32. (whew!). My source is a Kodak brochure no. A3-19, dated 1-52, "Kodak Filters and other Lens Attachments." In all, Kodak made slip rings in 36 different sizes, from series IV to series VIII, the smallest 5/8" to the largest 2-5/8".
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 135mm f4.7 Optar in a#2 Graphex full sync shutter measures 37.95mm/1.496 inch at the front element barrel. The internal threads in the front element barrel are for the lens cell retainer not filters. The #2 Graphex non flash sync and #2 Graphex X versions should have the same size lens barrel and elements.
Series VI (6) slip on adapters can be adjusted ±.5mm without problems/damage to the adapter. Adjust each tab separately.
Optar lens are rebadged Wollensak Raptar lens from 1947 through the mid 1960"s after that they are Rodenstock Optar.
Which version do you have?
What shutter is it in?
donjacob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Series VI Adapter--38 mm (1-1/2") Reply with quote

OK...all of the responses have been super. I am going to try a 38 mm1-1/2" slip-over and see what happens. Got to believe the fault lies not in the lens ring, but within me (Sorry, Will S!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: