Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shutter unspooled

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Borgatt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Shutter unspooled Reply with quote

I picked up an RB at a camera show yesterday, the glass was a little foggy, but otherwise everything seems to be working.

I did a bit of detailing, removing the ground glass to clean it and mirror, clearing out the dust and shining up the lens.

After getting it all back together everything looked much better, until I tried to cock the shutter from 3/4 - 3/8. I heard a snap and then about two seconds of ominous "thwap thwap thwap". None of my cleaning involved the shutter mechanism, I cleaned the mirror without removing it.

After removing the back panel, it appears as though the curtain material became detached from the bottom roller and spooled around the top.

I have been able to carefully unspool it from the top roller, and it still looks to be ok, no tears or wrinkles. I can get it to wrap around the bottom spool as well.

So what I need is to figure out how to reattach it to the bottom spool, then reset the proper tension so that it works again. I've read some articles and posts that point me towards the little bolt next to the tension knob, but if anybody has a step by step recommendation, as well as ideas for what I should use to reaffix the material to the bottom roller (there is some black spots left on the roller, but otherwise it looks like whatever glue was there just gave up) left, but it looks like the whole , I'd be greatly appreciative.

If there is a post that explains this that would work too, I did some searching but was unsuccessful.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email address off your web site and I am sending instructions to you via it.

It is rare that the curtain will become detached from the tension roller. Its possible someone had it off and did not reattach it properly/adequately.
The curtain should be 67 to 75 inches long. It should have an aperture larger than the film plane, a 1 1/2 inch, a 3/4 inch, a 3/8 inch, and 1/8 inch aperture with 6 to 8 inches of solid cloth either side of these apertures.

I use latex contact cement as it is easy to clean up excess and it holds very well for all body covering and curtain bonding. Solvent based contact cement can be used but one must exercise extreme care in using it. Solvents can/will damage the curtain coating and the body covering.

Which model and what format?
Borgatt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it thanks, that's a big big help. 4x5, I think its an earlier model, but I don't have it here at work (thought about bringing it but would probably be frowned upon).
Borgatt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a link to some pics. both of the camera and where the shutter detached from the spool

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1p8v7zbneqwfafj/AAByCtV7qCO01MTnqF8DJYTaa?dl=0[/url]
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rest of the curtain is wrinkled like the end it may be full of pin holes.

I'm not familiar with that model by sight, what does it say on the shutter speed plate?
The serial number should be stamped into the top of the view hood door behind the view hood. Some early models have it stamped into the lip around the view opening which is very hard to see.
Borgatt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 5x4 auto graflex , serial looks to be 31374. Rest of fabric looks good.

As far as glue to reattach, contact cement? I also have shoo gloo, which is designed for rubber and fabrics.

Once I get it reglued and its set, where do i start with tensioning the spring? I understand the instructions as far as removing the plates and turning the spring, but I dont know how many turns it unwound, so am not sure where a good starting point it.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Weldwood Non Flammable latex contact cement. Its only drawback is the smallest container it comes in is quart for $18 at home improvement and hardware stores.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Weldwood-32-fl-oz-Nonflammable-Contact-Cement-25332/100174435
Attach pieces while glue is wet, align, use. Dries to hold in 15-30 minutes, excess rubs off with your fingers, difficult to separate parts when cured.
I have never used ShoeGoo. Elmer's E1014 http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-E1014-Contact-Cement-1-Ounce/dp/B001A44JPC/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1415824434&sr=1-2&keywords=contact+cement is a good choice also.

The initial starting tension should be 8 to 10 turns of the tension roller shaft end. 20 turns is excessive and indicates there is a problem with the curtain movement. Most cameras operate properly with 8 to 12 turns.
Borgatt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks so much. This information is enormously helpful. It may be a blessing that it broke so early after getting it, I have learned a ton about the inner workings of this camera, and as a gadget guy, that's not a bad thing.

Ill let you know how it goes!
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

31374 is probably around 1910 give 2 or 3 years, take 1 or 2. No accurate record was kept with date information.

The body is covered in XXX Moroccan leather, the bellows and view hood are leather also. The hardware is silver plated brass. Using any type of metal polish on the hardware will remove the very thin layer of silver leaving shinny brass. Neatsfoot oil works well for keeping the leather soft and looking good. Use sparingly.
Borgatt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success!

Took a bit of figuring, but I have a functioning shutter curtain again.

Ill probably have to do some adjusting, once I learn a bit more about how to measure exactly how long its opening for. But it is locking and tripping across all ranges of tension and aperture length, which is 100% more effective than being detached from one spool and hanging out the back of the camera.

Thanks again for your help!! I have had one of these on my wishlist for years and my heard almost broke when I heard it unspool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: