Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Determine manufacture date of a Speed Grafic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmccl@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Determine manufacture date of a Speed Grafic Reply with quote

Is there a clue in the camera serial number? Or possibly in the Optar lens serial number. I know the scheme used by Kodak (CAMEROSITY). Also, do I understand correctly that there is no way to use a roll film holder on an anniverserary Speed Grafic? Thank you for your response. Jim
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give serial# of camera and we can probably come close to the year. I don't know significance, if any, of Optar numbers.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 1898 through 1946 serial numbers were assigned by work order according what model was needed. The work orders could be for 1 to 5000 cameras. There is no code or system to those numbers except the next available could be assigned to any model of any format. In 1947 blocks of numbers were set aside for Speed and Crown by format but about 2000 numbers were used twice.
In 1960 a date code was ink stamped on products. See http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=3321&highlight=date+code
The image hosting site canceled their free service therefore the images of the service bulletins are no longer there. The date code system is accurately described.

To use a roll film holder on an Anniversary:
1.Set infinity stops and calibrate a rangefinder to any given lens that you plan to use on the camera using the ground glass in the focus panel.
2. Remove the focus panel and sit the roll film holder into the film holder opening. Using a roll film holder adapter kit for spring backs or flat washers cut to fit over the lip edge of the roll film holder and the focus panel screws secure the roll film holder to the camera back.
3. compose using the optical view finder or the sports finder, focus with the rangefinder.
4. make a distance scale for the rangefinder calibrated lens then make a focus scale for each additional lens you wish to use, rangefinder focus, read the distance scale for the calibrated lens then transfer that focused distance to the scale for the lens in use.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles, you forgot to mention the 4x5 Adapt-A-Roll 620 and newer insertion type roll holders. Newer ones include a number of Sinar roll holders and the Cambo/Calumet/Orbit.

Insertion type roll holders slip in under the focusing panel like sheet film holders.

The AAR 620 has two disadvantages relative to newer roll holders. It was made to use 620 film (same film as 120 but on smaller spools), can feed from a 120 spool but must take up on a 620 spool. 620 spools are often offered on eBay. The AAR 620's other disadvantage relative to more modern insertion type roll holders is that its gate is offset relative to the camera's gate.

AARs were made to fit 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5 spring backs. 2x3ers are the most common, 3x4ers the rarest. I have several 2x3ers, use them with my 2x3 Graphics and 2x3 Cambo. I've had a 3x4er, have a 4x5er that I was going to use on my 4x5 Cambo. I now have a 4x5 (with 6x9) gate Linhof roll holder for my 4x5 camera.

Sinar roll holders come with fixed gates (Panorama 6x7, 6x9, 6x12) or variable gates (Zoom, Vario). Cambo/Calumet/Orbit (all made by Cambo) come with fixed gates (6x7, 6x9, 6x12, 6x7 is the most common). Their disadvantage relative to the AAR 620 is cost. I have a 6x12 fixed gate Sinar. Lovely piece of gear.

There's also a Toyo insertion type roll holder for 4x5 cameras but it is quite thick (48 mm) and can't be used with all spring backs.
jmccl@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Mini Seed Graphic serial # Reply with quote

I just received this Mini Speed Graphic, serial # 24455. The camera looks really clean and I am happy to have it. Shutter/lens is supermatic/ektar with serial EC1233. The lens indicates circa 1941, what about the 24455 on the bed? This camera has a Graflok back which I did not think came on any Speed Graphic. If the Graflok was an add-on, it was a superior job of workmanship. Thanks all.

Jim
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24455 would be between 1898 and 1910
124455 would be around 1922-1923
24455X is last half 1939 - first half 1940 and the only number possibility for a Miniature Speed Graphic.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini Seed Graphic serial # Reply with quote

jmccl@yahoo.com wrote:
This camera has a Graflok back which I did not think came on any Speed Graphic. If the Graflok was an add-on, it was a superior job of workmanship. Thanks all.

Jim
The Graflok back was introduced in 1949, was an option on Pacemaker Speed Graphics. The Century Graphic had an integral Graflok from the beginning. The Graflok back later became the standard back for Graphics.

When the Graflok back was introduced Graflok backs to be retrofitted to older Graphics were offered. Retrofit backs for cameras with flash sync terminals at the upper left corner of the back have the appropriate flash terminals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: