Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What gives here?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: What gives here? Reply with quote

Could somebody please explain to me what the heck this is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GRAFLEX-23-GRAPHIC-ROLL-FILM-HOLDER-4X5-CAMERA-GPE-W-BOX-/111356261531?pt=US_Film_Backs_Holders&hash=item19ed59b49b

That sure doesn't look like a 4x5 platen to me!
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a 3x4 Graflex RFH dug out of a damp basement on the shores of lake Huron with a 4x5 box from another location by an estate clearance person that does not have a clue.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I thought something about it was very "fishy" (oooh, so sorry!).
choiliefan

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted the seller before the auction ended asking for dimensions of the back:

"Hi. I'm sorry for the delay in answering your question. The entire back plate measures about 7 1/4" x 3 3/4". From the groove to the right edge is about 6 7/8". Thanks for your interest and good luck."

This holder wouldn't fit my 3X4 Graflex so I passed on bidding.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Charles (45PSS).

The groove (see the middle picture) means that it will fit a Graflex back as usually comes on a Graflex SLR and rarely comes on a Graphic press camera, not a Graflok back as sometimes comes on a Graphic press camera. I don't have a 3x4 Graflex SLR so can't measure, but the dimensions seem right for one.

That said, the structure at the left end of the plate seems odd. Charles, what do you think it is? My 2x3 roll holders for Graflex SLRs have nothing like it.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm wrote:
I'm with Charles (45PSS).

The groove (see the middle picture) means that it will fit a Graflex back as usually comes on a Graflex SLR and rarely comes on a Graphic press camera, not a Graflok back as sometimes comes on a Graphic press camera. I don't have a 3x4 Graflex SLR so can't measure, but the dimensions seem right for one.

That said, the structure at the left end of the plate seems odd. Charles, what do you think it is? My 2x3 roll holders for Graflex SLRs have nothing like it.

I don't have a clue other than a special production item. The left side befort the "groove" is longer than standard RFHs, The extra lip on the right edge is riveted on and appears factory. I have never seen a dark slide like that before either.

The back frame of a 1921 Telescopic Graflex, 3x4 format, film holder area measures 4 15/64 X 5 5/16. The film holder measures 4 7/32 x 5 9/32 to inside edge of the light trap Groove.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: