Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How was this Camera Used?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jgee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: How was this Camera Used? Reply with quote

A friend recently passed and left me with this camera.

A Graflex Still Picture KE-12(1) that has been modified to hold 2 Prinz lens on a lens board. The camera is in good condition with a good rear curtain and bellows; although it does not have a rangefinder attachment or flash. The attached plate reads: US Signal Corp. US Army Serial No 1512. Contract No. AF33(600)-25078. Not being a camera affectionado I have only used the Internet to obtain info. The PN on the lens opening table reads 34609-PI

I am interested in knowing what value it has and given the 2 lens mounted on the lens board, how was it used.

Thanks .........for any help or direction.

Jerry Gee
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have a Stereo camera. Stereo cameras use two lens and make two images of the same scene simultaneously. Viewing the prints in a Stereo viewer gives a 3D effect.

Now to the camera itself. The military numbers are basically meaningless.
The military assigns the number according to the purpose the camera was to be used for. The same camera body with a lens for landscape photos was given one number while the same camera model with a lens for portraiture was given a different number.

To post a picture here upload it to a image hosting site then link to the image or embed it here. Otherwise describe the camera as best you can.
Graflex placed their serial number in various places on the camera body depending on the vintage. The common places are the lens door, the under side of the camera top, behind the view hood, in the lip of the view hood opening, or in the edge of the body trim. The serial number will be 5 or 6 digits depending on the vintage, all numbers no letters.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graflex KE12 was used from 1953 to 1955. The only standard production Stereo Graphic was the 35mm fixed lens made from 1955 to 1962.

I won't hazard a guess as to what model you actually have.
Jgee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Thanks Here is more info. Reply with quote

The Graflex Serial was on the bottom. It reads 893260. Here is a link to several pics.

https://closeoutassistant.box.com/s/quuslsgwz6w571usn1ib

It sounds like a camera made in the early 50s.

Value???

Appreciate the help......

45PSS wrote:
It sounds like you have a Stereo camera. Stereo cameras use two lens and make two images of the same scene simultaneously. Viewing the prints in a Stereo viewer gives a 3D effect.

Now to the camera itself. The military numbers are basically meaningless.
The military assigns the number according to the purpose the camera was to be used for. The same camera body with a lens for landscape photos was given one number while the same camera model with a lens for portraiture was given a different number.

To post a picture here upload it to a image hosting site then link to the image or embed it here. Otherwise describe the camera as best you can.
Graflex placed their serial number in various places on the camera body depending on the vintage. The common places are the lens door, the under side of the camera top, behind the view hood, in the lip of the view hood opening, or in the edge of the body trim. The serial number will be 5 or 6 digits depending on the vintage, all numbers no letters.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graflex KE12 was used from 1953 to 1955. The only standard production Stereo Graphic was the 35mm fixed lens made from 1955 to 1962.

I won't hazard a guess as to what model you actually have.
[img][/img]
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle of an order for 2300 Pacemaker Speed Graphics listed in 1954.

See http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_5.html , the operating instruction manual for this vintage although it appears to have a Graflok back which will be covered in this guide book: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_4.html

Looking at the pictures it appears the stereo lens configuration is attached to the front standard via a lens board adapter. Try to remove the stereo lens assembly by releasing the lens board locks. If the front standard has not been modified then the camera is very usable as a standard 4x5 Speed Graphic. It appears to be in great condition.
I'll leave it to others as to its value.
Jgee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Thank for the info Reply with quote

I appreciate your help very much...
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't a Pacemaker, it is an Anniversary Speed Graphic, serial number notwithstanding.

There's a notation in the s/n book "for PH-104 contract".
Jgee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Ref recent post Reply with quote

How does the Anniversary Edition designation effect the value?

What is PH-104?

As per your suggestion, I removed the stereo lens assembly; it does not look like anything has been modified. (Keep in mind, I am a novice and may not see any modification)
willysmb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH-104 is the equipment set for WW2 signal Corps.

http://www.speedgraphic.fr/PH-47E_UK.html
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It isn't a Pacemaker, it is an Anniversary Speed Graphic, serial number notwithstanding.

Look at Kgee's photos again Image 008. Its definitely a Pacemaker. Only Pacemaker's have the speeds in a window and a hi/lo governor lever on bottom. Also, only Pacemakers have the serial number on a plate between the rails, image 018.

The military version of the Pacemaker does not have the body release that the general public version has, I missed that the first time around.

Anniversary Speeds have separate wind and tension knobs, the wind window shows the curtain aperture width and the speeds are read off a tension/aperture table.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is PH-104?

A contract/military order for a quantity of Speed Graphics built in late 1953 through 1st half? of 1954.
Jgee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Pacemaker or Anniversary Speed Graphic Reply with quote

I am reading into the posts that this is a Military Pacemaker, correct?

Another question is how (where) would I acquire an Optical view finder that is compatible with this model?

Thanks
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your pictures, it looks like the camera has both the so-called sports finder on the front standard and the peep sight on top of the back. The sports finder pulls straight up; the peep sight swings up.
The optical viewfinders are notoriously inaccurate. When I use my Graphics handheld, I always use the sports finder, which is OK as long as you get your eye right behind the sight and look straight through the frame. On the Pacemakers the sports finder frame has parallax markings in feet at the bottom of the sides. In any case it's a good idea to frame loosely!
Should be a lot of fun shooting stereo on 4x5 film.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Quote:

Look at Kgee's photos again Image 008. Its definitely a Pacemaker.

Charles, thanks for the correction. The rear shutter release lever led me astray.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am reading into the posts that this is a Military Pacemaker, correct?

Correct. It was assigned to the U.S. Army as their label is on it. If it were Navy or Air Force then the military label would say that branch and it would be a different color.

Quote:
Another question is how (where) would I acquire an Optical view finder that is compatible with this model?

The optical Viewfinder was made in three versions, short for 2x3 cameras, long for 3x4 and 4x5 cameras and one for the Super Graphics.

You need the long version ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAFLEX-long-Viewfinder-274-/201132919454?pt=US_Viewfinders_Eyecups&hash=item2ed474ca9e ) for Pacemakers. Watch ebay as they show up there occasionally but finding one in olive drab to match the body will be difficult. Also check ebay completed listings to see what side rangefinder pacemaker graphics are going for. Some collectors may be willing to pay top dollar for yours.
Jgee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Can I Use the Pacemaker to take Photos? Reply with quote

You all have been a great help. My interest is growing the more I read. Your comments and info is wonderful. I use a digital camera with no experience with a Pacemaker-like camera, but I would like to explore buying a Lens for the Camera to take some photos.

I assume that if I decide to sell the camera, having another lens would not affect the value.

What Lens (in addition to the Stereo Lens) would you recommend? It seems to me from my research the lens that came with the camera was a 135mm f/4.5 Graflex Optar. Would that be the logical choice?

What about film and the development of the film?

I have added 2 images (New_01, 02) that show what is behind the Stereo lens board plus 2 images (New_03, 04) that show the film holders that came with camera.

https://closeoutassistant.box.com/s/quuslsgwz6w571usn1ib

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Military Cameras All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: