Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horseman VHR rangefinder cams? --UPDATE--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LelandRay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Horseman VHR rangefinder cams? --UPDATE-- Reply with quote

I traded into a nice 2x3 VHR, and one of the lenses isn't cammed. Any idea where I can find parts, or, if necessary, instructions on making a cam myself?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LelandRay on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
1banjo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they don't come up that much on EBA_ & when they do they are high
I got lucky and got one for my 105mm but I need a 65mm & a 180mm

SAKAI CAMERA TRADE on eba_ #140668001130
Cams of Horseman 65mm, 75mm, 90mm, 105mm and 180mm lens
for buy-it-now $150

but SAKAI CAMERA is the only one that I ever see have any!
LelandRay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Okay, part of the issue is solved Reply with quote

I got a 90mm cam. Why? I decided it would be easier to do that, then buy a lens to go with it than try to cam a lens that isn't a standard length for the camera.

No need for a recessed lensboard when using a 90 on 6x9 format, right?
LelandRay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Getting there... Reply with quote

Shot day before yesterday with the 75mm lens.

Henry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot; great tonal range. (What railroad, location?)
LelandRay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The track in the foreground is used by the Southern Crescent, which runs New York - Atlanta - New Orleans. I was standing under the canopy at the recently restored Hattiesburg, Mississippi depot, circa 1910. Mostly what comes through are freights heading through; the depot is about 1.5 miles from the Canadian National (CN) yards.

Most of the really good pictures I shot of the depot the other day are on a roll of Provia I need to send off to a lab out of state, but here are a couple more.

Henry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Thanks for the other photos. I'm familiar with the Crescent, having lived in New Orleans many years ago, when the Southern depot was at Canal and N. Basin Sts. This was before the then-new Union Station was built on Loyola at Howard. The old Union depot, used mainly by the IC, was a Louis Sullivan building (the IC-Chicago connection) which was demolished to make way for the new. Can you imagine demolishing a Louis Sullivan building in this day and age? Incredible. I only learned years later that it *was* a Sullivan; of course, an architect of his stature doubtless had a stable of talent who designed the smaller projects; this wasn't a Chicago skyscraper, after all! I thought that the new Union Station was (and still is) a very bland example of '50s blah styling, all squared-off flat surfaces devoid of decorative elements and totally forgettable. Not like the Hattiesburg MS depot in your photo! Congratulations to the good citizens of Hattiesburg for respecting their past with this restoration! And removing any vestiges of segregation in the process.

BTW, the loco looks like it could be a cap-stacked IC steamer, small 2-8-2 (?) type, which would never have pulled a passenger train. Those small-drivered locos were freight hogs.
LelandRay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the depot and through most of the city, those vestiges of segregation were removed at least 35-40 years ago. The old Stillwater OK depot, however, had a "Whites Only" rest room sign in 1990, but when the Boy Scouts bought it a year later, that was the first thing they got rid of.
LelandRay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have 75mm, 105mm and 150mm lenses, all with the correct cams and all calibrated to focus with the rangefinder from minimum focus distance to infinity.

This was a heck of a search, but it's done now, and I'm happy. This has been one of my "bucket list" cameras, though a Wista 45RF would have worked really well, too.

I got my electrical grip in the mail today, and it works just fine, though I'd never heard of an Eveready 412 battery before. There is such a thing, and my local electronics store keeps them in stock. Turns out they're used in meters used by utility companies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: