Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GRAFLEX Super D Focus problem - HELP NEEDED
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
milos88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear 45PSS,

I did it! It was actually a matter of Focus Hood GG being detached from its frame, and once we put it in its place (there were two 1mm shims underneath it, one on each side already there, we left them there), the camera focused perfectly on both ground glasses! There was also a Fresnel screen, but I couldn't find a place for it, so I removed it, the picture is quite bright without it
even without the hood attached, even thou the mirror is deteriorate somewhat, but still usable. We couldn't find a 5000 ft (1500 meters) target, but a telephone pole wires some 300 ft away were OK, since I will never shoot anything further than 50ft away, anyway.

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement to finally do this, I thought my camera was bust forever.
One more question; The shutter curtain is not perfect, is there a remedy to that, I am afraid it might give in in the future. Does anyone repair these at all? And the bellows seem a bit frayed at corners, should I be worried?

Best regards

Milos
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We couldn't find a 5000 ft (1500 meters) target

The moon is an excellent infinity target.

Quote:

The shutter curtain is not perfect, is there a remedy to that, I am afraid it might give in in the future. Does anyone repair these at all? And the bellows seem a bit frayed at corners, should I be worried?

http://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pages/lemon-clean.aspx
Lemon Pledge will soften both.
Remove the camera back so that the curtain is fully accessible. ( I do not know how the graflok modification is attached.) Starting at closed after O coat the curtain winding to the next position until the curtain is fully coated. Let it sit an hour or more then carefully put a hand or thin flat support behind the curtain and wipe the excess Pledge off. Be careful around the aperture openings as the curtain is easiest to tear there.

Extend the bellows fully and coat with Pledge and allow to sit 30 minutes or more. With the curtain at O, mirror up, and focus panel off (back open)
put a hand inside and rub the pledge into the leather wiping off the excess.

A good leather conditioner can be used on the bellows but some leave the leather sticky.

I can replace the curtain as can a few others.
milos88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were doing the adjustment during the day....
Is there a substitute for Lemon Pledge, I don't think it's available in Europe?
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sun works also BUT one needs a special filter to safely view it.

No, I'm not aware of an European product. The curtain is cotton cloth with a thin rubber coating. Curtain thickness when new ?, dried out they expand to around .025 inch. The material I use for new curtains is .008 inch thick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: