Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rangefinder Question and Film Flatness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kq6up7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Rangefinder Question and Film Flatness Reply with quote

I love my XL. There are a couple of little quirks I would like to work out with it. My rangefinder seems to be spot on except for extreme close up work. Is this normal? What are some work workarounds (other than the obvious ground glass attachment).

I have replaced my roll film back due to light leaks and over all mechanical crappyness. I now have a 120 and a 220 RB67 back. It works fine except for film flatness can be an issue when I use a fast f stop setting. I understand that this would be an issue with the film back not the camera itself, and I probably should be asking back issues on the RB67 group.

Thanks,
Chris Maness
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My rangefinder seems to be spot on except for extreme close up work. Is this normal?

Yes. Ground glass focusing is best and easiest.
Quote:
I have replaced my roll film back due to light leaks and over all mechanical crappyness

What make/model? It probably needs a CLA.
Quote:
It works fine except for film flatness can be an issue when I use a fast f stop setting.

Newer films have thinner base materials than older films. Current Kodak 120 films are .004 (4 mil) and Ilford 120 films .0039 (3.9 mil) base. Start with tack gluing a piece of black card stock to the pressure plate, testing, adding a second if needed, switching to a different material if desired. Use a glue that can be removed easily without harsh chemicals.
kq6up7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back is broken now (the spring return on the lever is not working). Also compared to the RB67 backs I have purchased the over all quality is better with the RB backs. The frame spacing is better too. I was having light leaks with the R10 Singer/Graflex. I was thinking maybe the drag tension on the supply reel could be adjusted of something and make the film flatter.

Is it normal for the rangefinder to be off at close distances and fast apertures? If so, I might need to look at a different system because I like the shallow DOF and close ups for people photography. Is the Mamiya analog of the Graflex XL better than the XL? They look very similar. I might just get an RB67 for people shots, and use the XL for landscape where the critical focus is not such a big deal.

Advice is appreciated,
Chris Maness
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spacing on the RH10 is corrected by a CLA. The wind lever spring will have to be replaced and I do not have parts.

The RB backs are better built but they too need CLA and the seals under the top plate go bad and cause light leaks.

The RB67 itself is a big bulky camera. The RZ67 is a similar camera.
kq6up7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, the RB is a beast. That is why I am excited about the XL, but it won't be as useful for people without a REALLY accurate finder. Most of my cameras are SLR's I only have a couple of RFs. The little 35mm Canonnete that I have is pretty good, but it is easy to get a 40mm focal length correctly focused. However, the good thing is that I am a rather husky guy, and I have shot an RB67 hand held before. It is doable.

Thanks,
Chris Maness
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex XL Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: